General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91' cbr 600f2 - ran out of oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91' cbr 600f2 - ran out of oil

So I purchased a 1991 cbr 600f2 yesterday and proceeded to ride it home about 30 minutes. Turns out there was little to no oil in the bike as it started sputtering, lost power, and died. I've got the bike home now. The oil light is red and stays on (I believe it turns off when I turn it over) I put a quart of 10-40 full synthetic in hoping it would start but no lock. It would seem the motors locked up but I'm hoping I can get it running again without breaking the bank. I've got more oil and a new filter I'm going to do an oil change on it tomorrow, I'm hoping the light just means there's no oil pressure hopefully there's just not enough oil in it. Here's a video of the bike trying to start:

Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Update; Did a full oil change of 4 quart 10-40 and K&N filter, no luck. But for 1 split second while trying to turn it over it did pur or act like it was going to start but nothing ended up happening.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting fuel to the carbs, have you got a good spark at the plugs,

Old 04-22-2018, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds like it's turning over, so that's a good sign - it means it's not seized up. If it jumped like it was going to start, that's another promising sign. You may have dodged a bullet

When you pulled the old oil out was it full of shiny metal filings? That would indicate rapid bearing wear, common in engines that have been oil-starved

I'm betting you've got a good shot once you confirm the basics (battery voltage, fuel/air, spark) and maybe as a precaution I'd pop the valve cover off for a peek to make sure the topend is all where it should be. A compression test may also provide some good info as to the condition of the cylinders

Old 04-22-2018, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry Cab. We must have been typing at the same time

Old 04-22-2018, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Are you getting fuel to the carbs, have you got a good spark at the plugs,
I have no idea I can't find a good tutorial on how to get to the spark plugs and I wouldn't know how to check if gas is getting to the carbs

Old 04-22-2018, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
It sounds like it's turning over, so that's a good sign - it means it's not seized up. If it jumped like it was going to start, that's another promising sign. You may have dodged a bullet

When you pulled the old oil out was it full of shiny metal filings? That would indicate rapid bearing wear, common in engines that have been oil-starved

I'm betting you've got a good shot once you confirm the basics (battery voltage, fuel/air, spark) and maybe as a precaution I'd pop the valve cover off for a peek to make sure the topend is all where it should be. A compression test may also provide some good info as to the condition of the cylinders
Nope old oil was black as hell but clear of any metal bits. I just put a brand new battery in as will as clean oil and filter. Ideally I'd like to check the spark plug and clean the carb but it looks like it might be out of my mechanical ability (I cant find a clear and good tutorial on how I'd do this as it seems like one tutorial wants me to drain the radiator and everything else just to get to the spark plug - I just checked all my fuilds and topped them off lol) So battery voltage is good as well as oil now, Im not sure what to do now. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-22-2018, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Sorry Cab. We must have been typing at the same time

Originally Posted by blahberrys
I have no idea I can't find a good tutorial on how to get to the spark plugs and I wouldn't know how to check if gas is getting to the carbs
Have you got a workshop manual

Old 04-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet

Have you got a workshop manual
No I bought the bike used

Maybe I could find a PDF version online?

Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

PM'd .Check your inbox

Quick Reply: 91' cbr 600f2 - ran out of oil