General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 cbr600f4i is a bit dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 cbr600f4i is a bit dead

Hi,

Needing some help in finding out what's wrong with my 2004 cbr600f4i. I started it last night (it started OK), then ran for 3 - 4 seconds, then cut out. The electrics on the dash went a bit haywire then went off too. I was able to re-start it again, but the same happened.

I assumed it was a battery issue, so put it on charge for a short time. I then started the bike around 30 minutes later, and it started fine. I left it ticking over for around 15 minutes, and I assumed all was OK. I then took it out for a short ride, and around 5 minutes into the ride, all the instruments on the dash went off. The engine was still running so I managed to ride it home. During the ride home if I put an indicator on, the dash came back to life, but it was flashing all the lights on the dash and the rev meter would go from 0 to red line and back again. After I got home I tried to re-start it, but it had no life in it.

Does this sound like I just need a new battery? When I spoke to my local deal er they seemed to think that it was something a bit more sinister. I've also been told to check the earth.ground connections, but I have no idea where they all are!
Thanks very much!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM

I wish I could help pin point, but to me it sounds like wiring issue. Check the grounds for sure, but make sure there is no fraying in the wires as well... good luck buddy, but I dont think its worse than wiring.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm relatively new to motorcycles but have done a lot of car repair. That sounds like text book bad ground/earth.