General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda 929RR Flooding, dumping fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda 929RR Flooding, dumping fuel

Hi everyone hope you guys can help
I just bought a 2000 929 RR that was parked for 18 months and the fuel was not drained when parked. The seller installed a new battery and without draining the old fuel added fresh fuel. The bike started and ran great for about 10 minutes, but it stalled and fuel started pouring out of the drain hole of the muffler and exhaust. I removed the oil fill cap and I can smell fuel in the oil too. Any ideas? I am going to remove the spark plugs to see if the cylinders are soaked with fuel. Any ideas what it could be doing this...maybe Injectors, sensors, ecu, etc.

Thanks in advance,
John [/align]

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Default RE: 2000 Honda 929RR Flooding, dumping fuel

Hey there cudagee

Im not pro on fuel injected bikes but perhaps parking your bike for so long will have the same symptoms as my good old faithful carb powered beauty. Yeah your fuel should have been drained after standing for so long and your plugs should have been checked before the start. Hmm, smelling fuel in the oil, that doesn't sound good.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 AM

Maybe your jets might have got clogged in the long stand. I hope the dealer didnt rev the engine too hard when he started it cuz your cylinders would have been bone dry from oil and revving it hard on the initial start would have been catastrophic for your rings if he revved it like a newbie. He should fix anything for being an idiot if anything was damaged under his watch.
Any other 929 addicts please correct me if I missed the mark.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks Dukecbr,

I am going to drain the tank, drain the fuel from exhaust,inspectinjectors, change the oil. I don't think its the ECM unit considering the circumstances. Maybeone or two injectors are stuck open
John

Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Your fuel pressure regulator may have taken a crap, just something else to check.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks Tacoma25, I'll check it in the morning. All the cylinders are full of fuel all the way up to the throttle plate and the the exhaust pipe
[/align]

Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 AM

**** man, I was wondering how it got through all the way to the exhaust, you lucky it didnt ignite!!

Your sparks could have probably been buggered and that could have caused a ****ty spark, not enough to ignite all the fuel. Eventually when it got soiled it wouldnt have sparked anymore, and then while your bike was sitting the fuel could have continued to run into the cylinders. I know carb machines have floats in them to cut off the fuel, what do injection machines have? Maybe check out that as well? Fuel pump?

Hope the info points you in the right direction...

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 AM

It might be the ECM unit or fuel pressure regulator
I found a thread on the forum with the exact problem in March but there is no fix submitted

[/align]

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 AM

Does anyone know how to check the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Just had the same problem on my 929. Easiest way to check is to pull the vacume tube from the pressure regulator and see if fuel drips from where the vacume line connects to the pressure regulator. Usually you do this while the bike is running but can alsotest by turning the bike over.If so it's gettting into the cylinders through the vacume tube. When these bikes sit for a while the rubber diaphram inside the pressure regulator dries out and cracks causing the leak. The only other way fuel would get to the combustion chamber is a stuck open injector but the pressure regulator is the easiest thing to check first. Don't run the bike until you resolve the issue because fuel leaking this bad into the combustion chamber can hydrolock the engine and cause serious damage. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda 929RR Flooding, dumping fuel