General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 CBR F3 won't start, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 CBR F3 won't start, need help.

Ok,
I know there are alot of smart people here. I'm hoping a few of you can help me out. I recently got a great deal on a 2nd bike. I'm looking into making it a track only bike. The bike is a 1998 CBR600f3. It has about 16k miles on it. The bike quit running about 6 months ago. The owner let it sit and gave me a great deal on buying it.

So now i'm trying to get the bike running again. When it died, it gave no symptoms. The battery is currently charged and the gas tank is full. The bike acts like it wants to start, but won't. The bike had been running fine when it died. The prior owner rode it over to my house and it never started again. Where should I start and what should I look at. Someone told me to replace the fuel pump, but I wanted to get some expert opinions before I randomly start replacing things. That can get expensive quick. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just have never worked on a bike beyond doing oil changes and basic misc stuff to my 900RR.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Default RE: 1998 CBR F3 won't start, need help.

ok..has it been crashed??? The bike needs 3 basics; compression, spark, and fuel...just because it is rolling over doesnt mean that it is firing. Start simple and check the sparkplugs, replace them and see if it has spark. If not, your stator or C.D.I are probally out and unfortunatley not cheap either way..do one more check if it doesnt spark...remove the sparkplug caps and trim back the sparkplug wire and see if the wire will spark..if that all checks out and you have the plugs out anyway..check the compression also.
Another thing is if the air cleaner is dirty or the valves are too tight it may be hard to start.
Lastly try toggling the "RUN" switch back and forth to see if it has a corroded connection..I dont believe it will even roll over in the "off" position, but it is a easy check to do.
I hope any of this stuff helps..and you should buy a manual such as a Clymer ( $30)
There should be a test for the fuel pump in there, and if you pull the plugs out and they are wet..it isnt the fuel pump.
and as a wild shot it could also be the sidestand switch if the bike has no spark.....since it kills the ignition in the down position

Old 10-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Default RE: 1998 CBR F3 won't start, need help.

Cool thanks man. I'm actually going to pick up some new plugs and an air filter here soon anyways. I also need to get a manual. I know that will help alot. I haven't started tearing it apart yet, but was trying to get some ideas. The bike has never been crashed or dropped. It was running great, then all of a sudden it wouldn't start anymore. Hmmm i'm hoping it's something simple and not the stator or C.D.I.