General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000RR stator coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000RR stator coil

Ok...this has become a serious freakin thorn in my side. the damn bike in a years time has burned out 4 coils...3 factory...1 after market. after the third one burned...I undidthe only mod Ididthe the engine itself and that was took the "woodcraft" stator cover off and put the factory one back on..the next coile burned on in 2 days. I literally stripped the bike to the frame looking for shorts orcut wires...I isolated each circuit and and ammetered them all out..I used a serious leakdown tester I have at work that can detect as low as .01 milliamp. nothing...everything works flawlessly. the curious thing about the stator...typically when something burns out it chars the wires and plugs and everything in line. with these..NOTHING. the wires were not even discolored.and both regulars still check out and work fine. the service manger said he was baffled...had never seen a staotr cook and not wipr out the wires. sohe called inHonda tech. so that is where I am. thoroughly pissed....about why it does this...and even more so that I have not been able to solve it. fixing compliacted things is what I do for a living. [:@]...so it is in the hands of honda now. something is cooking the stator physically...it is getting hot. and only 1/3 of the coil ring burns. I said to the SM that I thought there might be some misalignment between the flywheel and coil.....he said at this point...he will not discount anything......

SO.......

anyone else run intothis???

frustratd beyond belief, Pam

Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Default RE: 1000RR stator coil

Only 1/3 of the stator is burning up? That sounds like a rectifier/regulator issue. One phase is running wide open and going to ground, most likely the meter you are testing with doesnt produce the voltage necessary to make the fault show. Probably a shorted diode(s) in the rectifier.
Does it make a high pitched howl that changes frequency with the motor?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

nothing is electrically shorted..and numerous reg/rec have been involved. if it was one phase every third coil would be cooked.....not 1/3 of the pie. and if the coil electrically shorted the wires and connector plug would have at the very least be discolored from heat.....they all look brand new

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Unlike in a car charging system the regulator does not control the amperage(size of the magnetic field) the coils interact with...It is a permanent magnet on the crank. The only way to regulate the output is to ground out a phase of the stator when the out put becomes too high. There are three phases(or coils)in the stator. If one of them is suffering from heat damage it is due toa high current in that coil.
From what you are reportingit is not an individual phase that is involved...So that points to the magnet. Either misaligned , cracked, or missing a section. Or a high resistance chassis ground.
What year is your bike?
I keep coming back to hysteresis losses causing the heat...if the coils are overheating. Are the plastic spacers between the iron core and the phases melted?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM

it is an 07...and what you just described is exactly what I told the SM at the dealer. it is a mechanical issue between/or with the flywheel and stator. one of the mechanics even said...it is not unheard of that an engine case was machined out of alignment.

yes that is what is cooked..the coating and the plastic insulators

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Have you taken any pics of the failed stators?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM

im going thru same thing with my 05 1000 and deaker told me there is a recall on stator and flywheel

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM

see they never changed the flywheel....[:@]

I have given them plenty of time with all the holiday crap...am going to go see them today...I am going thru withdrawls and my truck is killing me on gas....but it sure is nice and warm in the mornings

Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Does the recall cover the 07? Maybe the coils are old stock...

Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM

i think so didnt ask dealer about 07 but everything i've read seems to me that there all same parts til 07

Quick Reply: 1000RR stator coil