General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100+ octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 100+ octane fuel

Higher octane will result in higher performance period.Most people say it doesnt do anything cause they dont buy it.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM

oh no. did i get the wrong manual?
Well I doubt you got the wrong manual, but anything is possible!

If I remember correctly, my F4i (no I don't ride the RR) manual stated something about using 87 octane. I can check tonight though and let you know what I find for my bike. I just checked the service manual I have (pdf) and although it gives a recommended oil, brake fluid, coolant, etc. it doesn't say anything about octane.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Randy91CBR600F2

Higher octane will result in higher performance period.Most people say it doesnt do anything cause they dont buy it.
Please don't post ignorant opinions as facts until you come back with at least 1 credible source to back your statement. The octane # is simply the fuels resistance to detonation. That means higher octane fuel will not explode as easily as lower octane fuel. This comes in very handy when you raise compression (higher pressure = higher temps) or if you add a bit of timing (also increases heat).

The only reason most people will think that higher octane = higher performance is because oil companies push the higher octane fuels. 93 octane costs about 3-5 cents per gallon more to refine than 87 octane yet at the pump it'll cost you 20 cents more. Now which one do you think the oil companies want you to purchase? The only advantage the 93 will have is that most oil companies add more detergents to their high priced stuff and that will help you engine. It's cheaper to run the lower octane and add your own detergent around every oil change.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM

you trumped one ignorant opinion with another.Instead of any facts you gave your personal opinion.Higher octane fuel burns longer and hotter increasing combustion resulting in higher performance.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the day... I used to run acetone, 1/2 cup per 10 gal, in my hypo vw engines... you could REALLY feel the diff., you knew you got too much, when the exaust would reignite, when "on the stinger"!!!!!!!!!!!! scary!!!!!! it eather "ate" you fuel system gaskets, or no problems, no inbetween !!!!!!

I AM NOT RECOMENDING THIS, TO ANYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator

My '03 600RR says to use 87 octane.

-Adam

Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 AM

I am looking at the cbr600rr6 manual right now, it say: Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Randy91CBR600F2

you trumped one ignorant opinion with another.Instead of any facts you gave your personal opinion.Higher octane fuel burns longer and hotter increasing combustion resulting in higher performance.
Like I said dude, don't feed us any more feelings and call 'em facts. 93 burns no hotter than 87 and if you have a 9:1 compression ratio 98 octane will yield you no increased power over 87 octane. This has been proven over and over on dynos. The following article is from a place called "how stuff works". I have more technical articles but to me this place is the easiest to understand. Enjoy

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating above the octane/heptane combination. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding TEL. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline. Unfortunately, the side effects of adding lead to gasoline are:

Lead clogs a catalytic converter and renders it inoperable within minutes.
The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans).
When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane.
Federal Trade Commission
[lin

Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 AM

[sm=admin.gif]

Do you know how long I've been waiting to use that smile [8D]

Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

My '03 600RR says to use 87 octane.

-Adam
I wonder why your's is different than...

ORIGINAL: ashsammy

I am looking at the cbr600rr6 manual right now, it say: Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.
Are there different bike specs - because one's overseas and the other State-side?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

AND TONIGHT'S MAIN EVENT:

chainstretcher VS. Randy91CBR600F2

[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Quick Reply: 100+ octane fuel