General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 F4i help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 F4i help!!!!

i was at a stunt spot, my bike started makin a crazy knockin noise when i pulled up a spreader after doin many, i rode it a couple miles home slowly and at low rpms cause it would really just make the knock noise once gettin up to mid rpms. my mechanic buddy of mine tom and i dropped the motor and dismantled, turned out one of the rod bearings was chewed up, so we did all the plastigage checks and everything measured out ok, i went ahead and put new pistons, piston rings, pins and all that. we put it all together and it didnt start so we dismantled again, and turns out the piston rings were too big, put the old rings on new pistons and bike fired up nicely! it ran good for about a day ,and started makin the same crazy knock noise as it did to begin with, tried switchin up tensioners but no luck. what else can be messed up when a rod bearing goes out??? what else can be wrong? what else can cause engine knocking once around mid rpms??

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Is the oil pump working?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Could have pieces of the bearing in the oil pickup.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil starvation, did you have a aftermarket pickup? Honda's last longer than other bikes with stock oil pickups when doing stunts but eventually even they fail. Oil pump most likely burnt up from starvation which caused the damage to begin with. You very likely have the same damage again. Really your mechanic friend should have known to replace the pump.