General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 600 F4i.. Cluctch Prob & CCT Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 600 F4i.. Cluctch Prob & CCT Question

Hi everyone. I have a problem with the clutch on my bike. I'm not sure if the problem is that I can not get my bike into NEUTRAL. My bike sat for many months without being run or moved. Recently I want to repair my bike and get it running again so I have began to repair one issue at a time. Now please bare in mind that I have never had any transmission or clutch problems prior to this.
A few weeks ago I was told that my bike may require a full tune up including an engine flush to get the engine to a state where I can determine if its good OR if I it needs some work. So I bought spark plugs, an oil filter, oil and engine flush (4 quarts). I changed the plugs and drained the Old oil from the bike. It came out dirty and with what looked like rust or something.
I filled the bike with a mixture of oil and engine flush. Ran it for 6 or 6 minutes and then drained the oil. I did this again to make sure all the gunk was out of my engine. Initially I was having trouble shifting gears (before any flushing occured)... and after the 2nd flushing I counted 5 gears and No NUETRAL. I cant start the bike with the kickstand down and I went to each gear to verify that it was engaging.. they all checked out except I cant find Neutral.
Do you think I am having transmission issues of maybe the clutch is just sticking really bad? Should I replace the clutch?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM

transmission, but weird things happen to bikes when the sit for that long and by weird i mean bad. if the clutch disingages all the other gears then i doubt its that

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM

have you tried rocking the bike back and forth while trying to get it into gear? Roll it forward a bit while shifting down to see if engages that way. It sounds as if your in too high of a gear without any turning of the transmission.

The real scary part is you saw rust looking stuff coming out. generally, if antifreeze gets in the oil, it can turn a rusty looking color. Hopefully thats not the case. But I would certainly keep an eye on it once you get the bike going again.

Last edited by justasquid; 02-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Well yes there was an odd looking rusty color in the initial oil which I drained. But the I never saw it again in the following oil/ engine flush changes I did.. I did move the bike... holding in the clutch and rolling it forward a few feet and then back. Do you think I should leave it in gear and try to mov it? I guess it may be possible its just stuck.