General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 F4I spark plugs, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F4I spark plugs, HELP!!

I do all my own work on my bike, i've replaced the tires, chain, brakes, fluids, oils, you name it, but when i went to replace the spark plugs, the manual says that they should just be under this "plug" but that plug is actually a little rubber plug about 6 inches long that leads to the engine, is the spark plug inside here? it doesnt seem to unscrew, i'm stumped, i can't even find the spark plugs, does anyone know a way around this? help!

Old 12-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Default RE: 02 F4I spark plugs, HELP!!

I would try going to bikebandit.com. They have a great website to help you find hidden parts. Just click on OEM parts and put the bike info in. Click on wire harness and it will show you a detailed picture of the plug wires and were the plugs are in the bike. Hope it works. Good Luck....

Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 PM

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...e~CBR600F4.asp

thats the link to what Big D was talking about, and its exactly what i'm dealing with. I've gotten right up in there, if you look at "1" those are the plugs that the spark plugs are supposed to be in, but upon taking them out, i tried to unscrew, uncap, or disassemble them with my hands, not wanting to break them. No luck, has anyone changed spark plugs with a similar setup before?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:22 AM

The sparkplugs are the new littleones and they are located DEEP inside the motor, needing a long sparkplug wrench ( should be in your tool kit)

Old 12-14-2004, 07:33 PM

okay, i'll give that a try in a few days when i get some time, this has been the only thing that has left me thoroughly stumped. Thanks for the help, i'll post if it works

Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Just saw your post, did you ever get your plugs out? If not, I have the secret of doing it.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 PM

whats the secret cuz im doing mine in a week or two

Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 AM

I changed my plugs in 30 minutes. I didn't remove or touch the radiator, fuel tank or airbox. Don't know if this will work on all CBRs but it does on a F3. Here is what I did. Remove the small access panels and pull off the plug wires (you can mark them 1 thru 4 with tape if you wish) Take a deep socket (18MM I think) and drop it down the plug well. Now take a old 3 inch extension put it in a vise and hit that small ball that holds the socket on with a punch. That ball is now inoperative, a socket will now slide on and off the extension with no effort. Now drop the extension down the plug well and it will fall into place. Now with your ratchet wrench start to remove the plug, you may only get one click at a time, but you WILL get it. Once loose you can remove the wrench and twist the extension with your fingers. When the plug is free of the hole pull the extension out of the well. You now need a flexable magnet tool, you may get by with a small magnet on a string, but the flex tool is much better. Drop the magnet into the well and remove the socket. Now drop the magnet into the well again and you will remove the plug. Repeat these steps on remaining plugs. (third plug in on left side is a bear, but very do able. If you do not destroy that ball on the extension and it locks onto the socket in the well, you will not have the clearance to remove it. Be SURE to destroy that ball. Use care in replacing the wires, there is very little room for leverage but they must go on tight. Hope this works on other models.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:18 PM

Sounds good to me. When i change mine out in a few weeks I'll try and take pics and maybe do a write up on it if i dont get to lazy.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:04 PM

what rcdyna wrote is bout as good as ur gonna get...i haven't changed plugs on a sport bike which may or may not be easier with liquid cooling...but the plugs have very long extensions on them u have to remember they have to go down between the double over head cams and valves and head...the way he describes inserting and removing the socket and turning the ratchet 1 click at a time is sad but true...clearances r a bi*ch...but unless u wanna take the time to remove the gas tank and airbox thats ur best bet...also on the fuel injected bikes the fuel pump is very large and attached to the bottom of the tank and can't be taken too far from the throtle bodies without having to undo all the fuel lines...very intriquite task...best bet is taking a new plug that u plan to replace old plugs with and checking the size...remember u must use a thin walled deep well socket...good luck...and don't think that its neccessary to replace plugs under 20K miles

Quick Reply: 02 F4I spark plugs, HELP!!