General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' F4i, misses, and backfires... intermitently...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' F4i, misses, and backfires... intermitently...

So, my bike was running kind of rough, and I haven't put plugs in it since I've owned it, so I put a new set it. This was 3 days ago. For the past three days, the bike has ran excellent. This morning I get up, start the bike, and let it warm up since it was 45 degrees out. Let it warm up to about 150 and left. I rode around the back roads for about ten minutes. And the bike eventually got up to 190(I have the radiator partially taped off). I go to get on the interstate, I accelerate fine, and smooth. About 5 minutes later, I open it up and take off, all the sudden, my FI light comes on, and the bike starts missing. Get off at the next exit, and she's idling rough. I turned it off. Waited about 3 minutes, and started it back up. Running fine, no problems. Leave, go to my destination about 5 miles away, go inside. I come out 45 minutes later, leave and still running fine. Decide not to take the interstate back home, and take surface streets, and the whole time no problem. Well, I jump on the shortest route to my house, being the interstate, and take off, and the bike starts missing, but this time, no FI light. Come home, wait a couple of hours, then I leave again, and no problem. I ride around for a few minutes, and all of the sudden it starts cutting out, with the FI light on, then it'll die. I roll start it, and no problem, then all the sudden it will start cutting out bad, and cut off. Do this for about 3 miles, then all of the sudden it stopped dong that and ran fine. What the hell is going on!?1? Please help!!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Default RE: 01' F4i, misses, and backfires... intermitently...

Just noticed something... When I turn the the bike on, before I start it, the digital display and tach. do not go up and back to 00's... And I try to start the bike and nothing... But, after I hit the start switch once, they do peak, then the bike will start. The fuel pump does kick on first though, but it doesn't sound as loud, thus leading me to believe it's not getting enough power. Confused...

Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is to start with the electrical system. Check out the below link and if you need more info do a search using the word "rectifier".

It is easy to make sure your battery is good and the bike is charging it correctly. That is where I would start considering the year of your F4i. If you don't know when the last time the battery was changed or if it ever was then there is a good chance that is what the problem might be.

From what I’ve learned over the years, warming up a motorcycle with a weak battery can cause the battery to get weaker at idle RPM. There really is no reason to let a bike warm up as long as you don't start it up from cold and plan to go WOT trying to beat your best quarter mile time. When it is cold out and I start my 05 600RR, which is FI'd if you don't know, it idles faster for maybe 20 seconds then idles normally. I then ride conservatory for about the first 5 minutes until the tires warm up not the engine. Actually I warm up the tires regardless if it is cold out or not.

https://cbrforum.com/m_34539/mpage_1...r/tm.htm#34588

Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM

I agree. I'm sure you have some sort of electrical problem. Sometimes once electrical items warm up they start cutting out... coils, pickup coils and such. When I bike runs great... then poop, then great it normally is something electric. Not all the time but chances are it is. That is pretty much all we can help you with... you will have to do some trouble shooting. If you start testing electrical parts and they test out good that does not mean they are good though.... they could be good that minute and then once you get down the road it takes a crap. Pain in the butt sometimes. I have had that same trouble with some snowmobiles and it ended up being the pick up coils. Also about the warming up thing... I have read that warming up an engine idling can cause more damage than if you jump on it and take it easy for a while. By doing this it will get up to temperature faster and out of that critical time for engine damage. Have fun and good luck.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man
I have read that warming up an engine idling can cause more damage than if you jump on it and take it easy for a while. By doing this it will get up to temperature faster and out of that critical time for engine damage. Have fun and good luck.
Better said, so +1.

Adam W.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 PM

I was 99% sure your replies would be electrical, I was just hoping for something specific I could go after. Thanks for the help though. I got up this morning, didn't let it warm up, and just left, riding conservatively, and the bike warmed up just fine, and I had no problems at all. I rode for a good 45 minutes, got on it a couple of times, expecting it to start cutting out, but nothing. I think I might stay away from warming it up, because I haven't thought it to be cold enough to do that until a few days ago, which is when all of this started. On the subject of the battery, I took it out and couldn't find any date codes on it. Something else I noticed today was that whenever I turn the bike off, the clock resets itself. The lights will also get dim if I rev the bike Thanks again for any more help. -Chris

P.S.- What is your opinion on taping off the radiator? I hve about 50-60% of mine taped off. Too much?

Old 12-04-2005, 07:08 AM

add some fuel addictive cleaner

Old 12-04-2005, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 01CBRF4i Something else I noticed today was that whenever I turn the bike off, the clock resets itself. The lights will also get dim if I rev the bike Thanks again for any more help. -Chris

P.S.- What is your opinion on taping off the radiator? I hve about 50-60% of mine taped off. Too much?
That ain't right. The lights should get brighter. I would check the battery and charging system. And I would never tape off the radiator. When I go up the mountains, you wouldn't believe how many over-heated cars and trucks I see pulled over with cardboard in front of their radiator.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:44 PM

It also, has a slow start to it, so I took the battery out last night, and charged it for maybe 20 minutes, and put it back in, and it started up, and ran fine, with no dimming lights. I think the problem might just be my battery. I'm looking into purchasing a rectifier though.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:03 AM

Now, It won't start... It's getting fuel... For sure... I pulled the plugs, and it's getting fire... It's getting air!!! These are the three things you need for a motor to run.... Why isn't mine!?!? It turned over, and I held the throttle open a little, and it acted like it was going to start, then nothing... And has done the same since then... All I get out the exhaust is a nice fuel mist!! I need help!! Please!!! Currently only form of transportation!!

Quick Reply: 01' F4i, misses, and backfires... intermitently...