General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 cbr 929 help metal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, it sounds like Justasquid hit it right off. Nice memory Justasquid, you just saved him a lot of searching and headaches.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it sounds like Justasquid hit it right off. Nice memory Justasquid, you just saved him a lot of searching and headaches.
Thanks for the props Dirt. It nice being able to help people out once in awhile. My odd memory for random things is good to have sometimes. Ask me what my wife said 10 minutes ago... and I couldn't tell you....

Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Default hesitation is back

well after burning threw a few tanks of fuel with lucas fuel cleaner going back to regular fuel 93 octane the hesitation is back,i dont really want to keep running fuel cleaner threw my bike to get it to run right only thing i can figure is to have the injectors cleaned off the bike and tested,i just dont want to hurt the engine running another round of cleaner threw it,what do u think squid? and there is no more metal noise just hesitation

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 AM

man, that really sucks. The only thing I can think of is, since the bike sat for so long, I would probably drain the tank completely and put all new gas in. the only reason I would suggest this is if there is water in the tank, it can pool up and sit around the fuel pumps pickup. The problem comes in when the water begins to pick up into the pump, it can cause the pump to cavitate, then it drops the water back down. You get the hesitation because you loose fuel pressure. You can run 20 tanks of fresh gas through and never get the water out because its heavier than gas and just sits on the bottom.

My guess is, ( and only a guess), that the fuel system cleaner your using also helps get rid of water in the tank. Most of the cleaners have additives that mix with the water and allow the water to be burned. However, they usually don't work, but they do mix with water and hold it down on the bottom the tank, which is probably what is happening. When your not running the cleaner anymore, the water regains its properties and begins getting in the way of fuel flow again. 5 years worth of condensation inside the tank, there is probably quite a bit of water in there still.

So, I would pull the tank off, and completely drain it. I would bet money your going to see a lot of water in there.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Default ya comon

so i was one step ahead of ya and had already drained the tank,and why i was in there i pulled the plugs ,fuel rail and injectors. i took a nine volt baterry and ran some wires to the injectors and shot 2 cans of carb cleanor threw them.cleaned the fuel rail ,tank etc changed plugs and man u want to talk about a difference , no hesitation just as smooth as glass i mean this bike is finally acting like it only has 3600 miles on it.squid i apreciate ur reply brother ,either the tank had water or the injectors were clogged still or the plugs were fouled dont really know for sure,but hey it's runnin now man and thats what counts espicially when 80 degres outside

Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM

my 900rr is making a similiar knocking sound..only it goes away when i hit the clutch...like yours it goes away at higher rpms...mine will only do it when the rpm drops below 1200...just did a fresh oil change and it didn't do much...i have no idea on this one....never had this problem before...would a clutch basket make that knocking sound...never had a clutch go on me either....

Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Default clutch basket

if your basket is bent or cracked and pieces broke of yes it will make some noise but its more of a vibration that u would get ,sounds like maybe ur gearbox is having some issues ,howmany miles on your bike.and is it the original clutch? i know my buddy had a bent fork in his gear box that was making a noise when he let off his clutch and when he shifts.does ur bike make the noise when shift as well? or just at idle?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM

squid i apreciate ur reply brother
No problem, Im glad things are working like they should now. Thats why this board is so good. A lot of people helping eachother out.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM

no dieselboy...no sounds when shifting...only at low idle and with the clutch let out...just ran the bike for about 15 miles...ran great outside of the knock when idle low...what i did was pull the choke and let it warm up totally before opening the choke...it then idled at 1300 with no sound at all...and ran fine....if i had dropped the idle back down below that it would have for sure started up again...question...if something were bent would it not do it all the time..regardless of the rpm range...higher rpm woul not straighten anything out? guess its just a trip to the dealer...

Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Default that sucks

ya thats probally ur best bet man,if u cant get it figuired out yourself take it to the pros man , stupid people that try to fix crap on there own when they dont have a clue what there doin,cost them selves more money in the long run.if u dont know take it to somebody who does bro. maybe its somethin stupid and a quick cheap fix thow,let us know what it was man.

Quick Reply: 00 cbr 929 help metal noise?