General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 cbr 929 help metal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 cbr 929 help metal noise?

ok i just bought this bike it has 3456 miles on it,sat for about five years look like showroom condition not a scratch,but when i start the bike i get a clunk once or twice,but when it warm nothing ,rev it up nothing sounds great,then when i take off i get hesitation with a metal sound down low left side maybe or right i cant really tell yet,until about 3000 rpm then its all smoth no power problems shifts fine but when i get back down in rpms and take off in anny gear i get the same thing again,sometimes it not as bad, im baffled never had aproblem like this with any of my bikes,just wanted to see if anyone has ever had this similar problem?thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Any way you can post a video up on youtube ? Video and audio would help when trying to diagnose noises.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Default no video

ill try to see if i can mount a camera or have my wife hold it while i take maybe that will work.sound quality might suck thow

Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM

looking foward on the answers

Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Hard to say, however when you are doing your checking or taking video, see if it makes a difference if the clutch is engaged or not. Does it go away or come back if you pull in the lever or let it out?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Basically what TK is suggesting. Do several different things to see of the noise goes away. The clutch one is a great suggestion, but also try the rear brake slightly applied, on gas, off gas... anything you can think of that might make the noise disapear.

On a side note. I think the 929's had a clutch basket recall. I dont know the details of it, or the symptoms of it, but there was some type of failure with certain models. It might be worth checking the vin with a dealer to see if they can tell you if the bike had the recall done or not.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Default ok

ok so far i changed the oil with synthetic,checked the air filter and found nothing clean as new,checked the chain and rear brakes nothing,i put about 30 miles with new oil and bike does sound better a little,but i have noticed in stead of a grinding or chatter sound more like a clunk when at low rpms slowing down in gear and when the bike is warming up it clunks a couple of times and when it does the rpms jump down a little,note the clutch in or out is not really make a difference that i can tell.when i let off the clutch and accellerate the bike hesitates like its fuel but when i am 4500 rpms or more its so smooth but when i come back down below 4500 rpms or so its start hesitating like jerking a little, i get back in the gas and will go away.my next step is going to pull the injectors and clean them. does anyone have any other sugestions,sorry no video the sound quality was awful not worth it.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Default i had another thought

the guy who had this bike before me put a yoshi pipe on because everything was stock,if the bike isnt synched with that pipe wont the htev valve make a clunk noise trying to adjust for it because all these noisies are coming from the bottom end?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM

the slip-on won't affect anything as long as the valve is still intact. It might worth looking into though to make sure the valve is operating correctly. there is no need to tune the bike for just a slip-on. You can buy a power commander and tune it, and it will be better for power and response, but its not required. the bike will run fine without the tune.

Since you meantion it. I seem to recall an issue with some 929's having exhaust valves being loose and making noises. something along the lines of when the valve is closed, it would vibrate and make noises, but once it was open, it wouldn't have anything to vibrate against.

Also, the exhaust valve is just an open or closed. it doesnt adjust for anything. However, the valve doesnt open till around 5 grand. If your noise goes away above that, it very well could be the issue.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Default problem fixed

ok so i took this bike to the dealer,come to find out no recalls were ever done to this bike so they put on a new clutch kit ,basket, springs all new, lucas fuel system cleaner and 2 tanks later bike runs great smooth as new, the mech said the metal knock on startup was fuel starvation and the vibration was the old clutch kit,hesatation was just dirty fuel injectors and the lucas fuel treatment will clear it up in a couple tanks of gas,this bike had benn sitting for 5 yrs so the only problem was he said this bike just needs to be ridden , so i think i can handle that being that is 74 degres and sunny today! thanks for all the replys

Quick Reply: 00 cbr 929 help metal noise?