Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with CBR Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CBRF? Tell us here. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BIKE HERE.

Thread Revival posts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thread Revival posts

I think it would be most awesome if forums had a feature so that when someone attempted to add a post to a thread where the previous post is more than XXX days old, it pops in a confirmation message along the lines of: "you are attempting to post in an inactive thread. The previous post was made ## ago, do you really want to proceed?" I assume there are other ways of dealing with it like auto-locking old threads, but that has its own set of drawbacks.
TMK, this either doesn't exist or isn't commonly in use on any forums I frequent, but it seems like a decent feature and easy enough to implement.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree with you. Threads that have not been posted on in a year should auto-lock. We can always unlock from there if there is as need to update on a case by case basis.

There have been too many dead threads posted on lately.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be great, I have caught myself almost dragging up old posts

Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by regener8ed
I think it would be most awesome if forums had a feature so that when someone attempted to add a post to a thread where the previous post is more than XXX days old, it pops in a confirmation message along the lines of: "you are attempting to post in an inactive thread. The previous post was made ## ago, do you really want to proceed?" I assume there are other ways of dealing with it like auto-locking old threads, but that has its own set of drawbacks.
TMK, this either doesn't exist or isn't commonly in use on any forums I frequent, but it seems like a decent feature and easy enough to implement.

I have actually seen that on another forum, but cannot for the life of me remember where! It is a great idea.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 AM

someone should come back in a few years to post in this thread. just sayin.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running out of zombie thread memes.... Definitely a good idea.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know this thread is like 14 days old
but i wanted to pull the paddles out and put my couple cents in..

the only problem with auto lock is sometimes , especially if the thread has alot of really good info and the members who wrote into it are all still active, will be alerted through an email that the thread has been bumped and will usually come back and help the poor guy/gurl who's seeking the experience of everyone who has shared the same problem..
I'm not quite sure why people get so annoyed when the old ones come back alive, especially since this site is based of conversation, ideas and experiences..
i dont want to beat the horse over and over again but if someone bumps a thread thats a few years old, which by the way, i still enjoy reading. I read them all the time!
i'll automatically "know" just by the already "read" subject matter where this person is coming from..
i can go on and on..
so i wont, but how bout actually just deleting some threads especially the ones that are like five years old and that never got replied to.. like this post back in 2006:

(Hi, yes i have a 96 Blade and i bought this green/yellow fur that i want to stick all over the bike.. do you think i should use contact cement on both sides of the material or should i use aquanet on one side and the cement on the other.)
like seriously no ones going to answer that question and its just stupid. it was stupid then! and its stupid Now! especially after 7 years just taking up server space.
how about creating a" button" to bump the thread into a voting area, where say up tp 10 member votes to get it trashed.. just add a little folder under general-tech called "going,going,GONE!!! and when people are bored they can go in and do some cleaning for the site.. its the least we can do.. the way i see it, i never mind when people bump the good old threads, its the unanswered ridicules ones that i come across all the time and that will never ever get answered that drives me nuts..
like forest said: i think thats all i have to say about that!!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's all depending on how an old thread is brought back up.

a one or two word post like -

"me too" or "I agree" or some dumb short post that adds no value
other than to gain a post count etc. ......... then hell those kinds
of posts get deleted and thread will get put back where it belongs
in time in my opinion.

But say on ongoing issue like CCT's or charging issues or something
that nature is brought back up with a post that adds value to the
original thread , even if it's an older one, well that's fair enough in
my opinion.

Basically common sense applied by Moderators here prevails. Some will
be borderline, in that case. A new more up to date thread may be started
by the OP should the content of the older thread be deemed way out of date
from a technical perspective where even some graphics and links may no
longer be valid. Some of the earliest threads have image link references
that no longer function. Other threads have defunct photobucket & other
links that have aged out - all reasons to start new thread - keeping in mind too
that active members cycle on and off the Forum at varying intervals as real
life gets in the way as it does for most of us .

Just my 2 c's or 2 $ on the issue

Old 10-12-2013, 10:00 AM

i really hate the idea of locking threads based on time (except for sale ads or unanswered questions.) i think i still prefer my original idea -- sometimes people don't realize they're posting on a thread which is obviously no longer relevant, and that seems the sort of thing a "hey dummy" prompt just might prevent.

or least everyone would know that you're an idiot on purpose.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes it is kind of funny. You wonder if they're really that dumb or if there is nefarious intent afoot ...

Quick Reply: Thread Revival posts