Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with CBR Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CBRF? Tell us here. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BIKE HERE.

new sticky thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sticky thread

I have only been on here for a few days but I have noticed the most common thread to be posted is the "600rr or "other" " for a first bike threads. If somebody much more experienced than myself could do a good write up on this and make it a sticky to help out the noobs, like me, I think it would stop all the repeat posts and help some others out as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: new sticky thread

That's not a bad idea. If I find the time, I may do a write up. Really busy right now.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:12 PM

If people would read the stickies that tell them to use the search function, that would also cut down on all the repeat posts. Just doesn't ever work out that way

Tylor

Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, people that dont know, just dont know. you could add stickies, global announcements, hell, even a popup and people still wont read it.

and unfortunately, those people are still gonna want a 600rr just b/c.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: doncollins

That's not a bad idea. If I find the time, I may do a write up. Really busy right now.
Here's one to save you time. I use it as a response all the time and is one of the more well written ones imo ... it pretty much covers everything that needs to be covered and most angles all the "best 1st bike" thread generally take:

[quote]Welcome to the passion of riding!

Now to answer your question ... note that the following is not written by me (it is written by a fellow rider) ... I've just condensed it a bit (believe it or not); I happen to agree with most of the following but you will get varying responses of all types from fellow riders and will have to make your own decision. Good Luck! Smile

One of the most common questions new sport bike riders have is, “What kind of sport bike should I get?â€

Getting ANY modern 600cc sport bike for a first ride is not a good idea for new riders (far, far, far worse is a 750cc or 1000cc).
Here are a few reasons why:

1. Knowledge of Subject Matter ...
When anyone starts something new they find themselves at the most basic starting level of the learning curve. Like riding a bicycle, you would not start this learning curve on a ten speed. This is to say that it takes knowledge OF something in order to understand how that something works, functions, performs, etc. Now let's return to the world of motorcycles. A beginner has NO motorcycle experience. They are not even aware of the power, mistakes, handling, shifting, turning dynamics etc. of any bike, let alone a high performance sport bike. Not only do they lack the SKILL of how to ride a motorcycle, they also lack the knowledge of what skills are even used when riding a motorcycle. Acquiring those skills comes only with experience and learning from your mistakes. As one moves through the learning curve they begin to amass new information…they also make mistakes. A ton of them.

2. The Learning Curve ...
While learning to do something, you make mistakes. Without mistakes the learning process is impossible. A mistake on a sport bike can be fatal. The thing new riders need to learn above anything else is smooth throttle control, proper speed, and how to lean properly going into turns. A 600cc bike can hit over 60mph in about 4 to 6 seconds. A simple beginners mishap with that much power and torque can cost you your life (or a few limbs) before you even knew what happened. Grab a handful of throttle going into a turn and you may end up crossing that little yellow line on the road into on-coming traffic…**shudder**. Bikes that are more forgiving of mistakes are far safer (not to mention, more fun) to learn on.

Unfortunately safety concerns with a first motorcycle aren’t as apparent as they are with other motorized vehicle purchases. However, the wrong choice of what equipment to learn on can be just as deadly, regardless of how safe, careful, and level-headed you intend to be.

3. “But I will be safe, responsible, and level-headed while learning" ...
Sorry, but this line of reasoning only works for some, do you want to gamble & guess if your are in that group or live to figure it out? Keep in mind that very few people buy a bike thinking they are not one of the above, unfortunately however, riders are routinely injured or worse, many while making "newbie" mistakes. To be safe you also need SKILL (throttle control, speed, leaning, etc). Skill comes ONLY with experience. To gain experience you must ride in real traffic, with real cars, and real dangers. Before that experience is developed, you are best suited with a bike that won’t severely punish you for minor mistakes. A cutting edge race bike is not one of these bikes.

Start with a solid foundation in the basics, and then move up. Many people say "just respect it and you'll be fine" or that “maturity†will help you be safe with motorcycles. They are c

Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Well that right there is an excellent write up, and pretty much covers all the angles, its really too bad you cant geteveryone to read that.I have a long history of riding dirt bikes and quads and very few street bikes ( not looking for validation here either...) and had an unbeatable deal on my 600rr fall into my lap ( i wasnt even really looking for a bike ) . And this being my first street bike ive owned, its hard to imagine someone else buying one of these with even less "experience" than me. But I guess you probably cant ever get the point across,you can just try. I have a very strong feeling that the people who have never ridden anything before that say they started on one of these " no problem " are hiding a few embarresing stories.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:10 PM

How about putting it in the Terms of Use when you first sign up for the site? That would kick *** and be something I have never seen before.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 AM

too many people would just scroll through it i think

Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Retired Moderator

Yeah I don't think that go over well since some still have opposing views but if it was somewhere so even if it dissuaded just one person from getting in over their head, it would be worth it imo.

I've even had a couple of people pm me saying they've read thread after thread on the subject and that one post made them decide against getting a bigger bike ... so, who knows, maybe there's hope after all