F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Yay, another f4i that won't start! Push start works

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay, another f4i that won't start! Push start works

Okay, so this might look like a bunch of random thoughts, but i'll try to make it coherent. Turn the key, cluster goes through its checks. Neutral light won't go on, even in neutral. Kick stand was down when we tried cranking, but when someone sat on the bike, they kicked up the stand and it still wouldn't start. I mean, it would crank kind of weak for a turn then stop.

My PO says it's just the battery, but I also don't remember hearing the fuel pump priming, and the whole thing with the neutral light, so i thought i'd post before buying a new battery. I don't have access tothe bike right now as it's parked at a friends house.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Banned
Default RE: Yay, another f4i that won't start! Push start works

Battery would be my first check.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 AM

so the whole neutral problem is a completely different thing and not related to this issue?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

It could have something to do with a dead battery. Your battery is obviously low, put it on a charge or jump it with a car and see what happens from there. Then you can go from there trying to isolate the issues. But I would atleast get the battery out of the way.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM

didn't you just get this bike?
good luck, i hope it's something cheap

Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 AM

if its got enough power to crank once u could try and push start it, just put it in 1st and hold the clutch in then have someone push it or run with it and then when u get goin pretty good let the clutch out, i had to do this the other day cause my battery died but just make sure u dont drop it or anything if ur trying to run with it

Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Did you check the fuses? Try pulling in clutch to see if that winds up the fuel pump. If not then you more then likely have a blown fuse.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the neutral s/w is bad => it would not start and then while trying to start for a long time the battery got worn down thru headlights... charge battery, put up the kickstand, pull in the clutch and try to start. then debug the neutral s/w... also note... if neutral is bad it will switch off if the clutch is not pulled in in neutral in traffic.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bwayers

didn't you just get this bike?
good luck, i hope it's something cheap
Yessir, i just bought the bike

ORIGINAL: BadAzF4i

if its got enough power to crank once u could try and push start it, just put it in 1st and hold the clutch in then have someone push it or run with it and then when u get goin pretty good let the clutch out, i had to do this the other day cause my battery died but just make sure u dont drop it or anything if ur trying to run with it

Like the title of the thread says, push starting works lol . So my battery is just dead? Maybe i didn't hear the fuel pump prime because I was paying attention to pushing the bike or talking to the PO trying to make him lower the price while the friend was looking at the bike.

ORIGINAL: Streetdemon

Did you check the fuses? Try pulling in clutch to see if that winds up the fuel pump. If not then you more then likely have a blown fuse.
Where are the fuses? I'll check them out when I go to charge the battery and clean it up and take pics.

ORIGINAL: ampfp

maybe the neutral s/w is bad => it would not start and then while trying to start for a long time the battery got worn down thru headlights... charge battery, put up the kickstand, pull in the clutch and try to start. then debug the neutral s/w... also note... if neutral is bad it will switch off if the clutch is not pulled in in neutral in traffic.
I understand the first half of what you said, but i dont get he 2nd half. What do you mean by debug the neutral switch? Are you saying I should try letting go of the clutch while in neutral while at a light? If the bike turns off the neutral switch is bad, if it stays on it's good? Maybe it's just a bulb or fuse blown? Do the little lights use bulbs or LEDs?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Alright, I have an update:

I took the seat off and connected a battery jumper pack and it started right up! I never heard the fuel pump prime because the friend waiting till right before he popped the clutch to prime it, and i didnt hear it then. I also now have actually LOOKED at all the details of the bike and can proudly say I understand things. Any suggestions of brand of battery to buy? I would prefer to go to a store to buy, so i'll shop around the San Francisco area for larger moto parts stores to find what you people suggest.

As for the neutral light, I saw it come on too! WTF? So, it was in neutral, and the friend wanted to see if the bike would die if he kept the kickstand down and if he put it in gear, and it didnt die... Shouldn't it have died? But i digress. Once we put it back in neutral (took a while...friend said it just wasn't going to neutral. Any suggestions to tighten this up?), the light would come on and off and just flicker at times then stay on or off at times. What could it be? Lose wiring? Bad sensor?

Quick Reply: Yay, another f4i that won't start! Push start works