F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Wrecked '01 CBR600 F4i - What should I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked '01 CBR600 F4i - What should I do with it?

Two days after trading in my Kawasaki Ninja 500 for an '01 Honda CBR600 F4i I dropped my bike going 50-60 around a turn. I was able to ride away from the accident and had only minor scratches to the right side fairings and some scratches on the muffler. I was fine with this because I planned on keeping the bike until I ran it into the ground. A few visual imperfections didn't bother me. Well ... two weeks later I was riding on the same stretch of roads and only going about 35-40 this time with my girlfriend on the back ... I woke up immediately after crashing with no memory of how this low speed crash on a straight stretch happened. The best I can figure is a deer must have run out in front of us. I was not so lucky this time. My girlfriend broke her nose and collarbone. I broke my leg and shoulder blade. The bike was way more trashed this time but this time on the left side of the bike. I only had liability insurance set up at the time because I was waiting for school student loans to up the coverage to comprehensive. So basically I am left to pay my medical bills and trying to get rid of this bike. The only thing my insurance covered was my girlfriend's injuries. So here is the big question ... what should I do with the bike? Should I replace the fairings and sell it. Sell it as is ... or part it out. I bought it for $6,999 - $750 for the trade in and $1,300 down. Basically I owe $5,000 on the bike at this point. All fairings on the left side and front of the bike snapped into pieces. The fairings on the right side of the bike are just scratched. Here are some pics of the left side (that's all I have pics of). Please let me know what the best thing (money wise) that I should do with the bike. I promised the girlfriend I would never ride this one again. Thanks!

Wrecked CBR600 F4i Pic

Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Default RE: Wrecked '01 CBR600 F4i - What should I do with it?

fix it then sell it ..you will get the most money outta it that way i think

Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 PM

You payed $7,000 for an 01' ...I think you over payed...you could have got one for around $5,000 give or take alittle.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident! Hope that you and your girlfriend heal quickly. If you were to try to sell the bike "as is" you're looking to get around $1300-$1700. If you part it out, you may get around $3-3500 and if you were to fix it and then sell it, you're still going to end up taking a loss on it. The decision is yours as to how much of a loss you are willing to take.

IF you are going to either sell it as is, or end up parting it out, make sure to take a bunch more pictures and write detailed descriptions of it because if it's on eBay, people are going to want to see everything before they bid. Key here is DETAILS.

It looks to be an easy enough fix, but it is going to cost you some pretty good $$ for the plastics and then having them repainted. If it were me, I'd fix it as long as the frame is straight, rims aren't bent, etc. Good luck!
-D

Old 08-06-2006, 11:13 PM

the upper is the expensive piece, and that should be able to be plastic welded. you can get the stock silver paint for it at color-rite.com. the tail can be welded too. the lower is another story, might be better to get a primered one on ebay. you might get lucky and find the right color scheme. paint it BLACK and get the SILVER stock stickers and you're in business there.

i'd say fix it and sell it. i'd do my own work so it would only cost me a few hundred dollars at most.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 AM

sell me your right rearset and brake assembly...lol

Old 08-07-2006, 02:07 AM

50 to 60 and u could drive away wow!!! i was goin prolly under 40 and it totally destroyed my bike about a week ago, i couldnt drive it home, but glad u guys are ok for the most part. Heal quick. Try and fix it first, like said before might be worth fixin if frame aint bent or anything but **** my frame wasnt bent and my bike had 5064 in damages.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:34 AM

dude ebay is your friend i got an upper for 200 and tail for 200 i even saw cheaper pieces on there if i had only waited a few days lol so just go ebay and than fix it and keep it...i just fixed mine and the ebay upper will get painted soon

Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM

wait u trade the ninja for an f4i and they only gave u $750 for the ninja?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: shraz

wait u trade the ninja for an f4i and they only gave u $750 for the ninja?
Dealer made some MONEY there.

Fix it and ride it. If you don't care about OEM parts get some street Fiberglass. It survives wrecks better than OEM plastics. It's basically like track skins, but with a hole for the headlight.

All in all, it looks like an easy fix.

Did your GF have a helmet on?

Quick Reply: Wrecked '01 CBR600 F4i - What should I do with it?