F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Would you even consider this bike? Crash cage

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you can see the stator cover scratched slightly and the slider grinded down kinda bad...Im assuming the stator cover got scratched before the cage was put on ...then it was dropped again after the cage was on...
Name:  100_2739.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  68.2 KB

No problems on this side
Name:  100_2737.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.1 KB

small scuffs on mirror but none on bar ends

So ultimately...gorgeous bike for amazing price....but it has been dropped a few times...minor damage

Damn it...why do I love my F4i so much? Someone give me advise here...oh...and how hard is it to get that dang cage off!!!!
Name:  100_2744.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  67.4 KB

Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM

Rusty bolts...?

The second picture shows that the bike use to have regular frame sliders, most likely shoguns. I'm assuming the first owner originally put on no cut frame sliders, dropped the bike, replaced with crash kit, didn't remove offsets because they probably misplaced the spacers, and dropped it again with cage on. And you know the rest. Still seems like a good deal imo. Yes, a dropped bike should be a red flag, but doesn't mean it's an automatic no buy. Careful inspection can tell you how the bike was probably dropped. And by the looks of the scuff on the stator and nothing on the barends, it's probably a slow lowside. My lowside on my F4i is pretty similar to that, maybe worse.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 AM

I bought mine with a cage and took that ugly thing off.. didnt have any worries about it being stunted but it had been laid down.. just had a mechanic look at it, and cleaned it, serviced it and have had NO problems what so ever... hell if you don't want it send it my way! Im sure I could scrap up $5000 to get it

Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 AM

It also seems like they cut the fairings for the cage...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 AM

F4ith... on mine? if your talking about mine.. yeah the PO was not the sharpest tool in the shed... HOPEFULLY, I will be purchasing some fairings this winter ( I'm thinking repsol)

BUT YES, NOOBER, BUY IT!!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith
It also seems like they cut the fairings for the cage...
I think he's talking about mine..1st pic...Good observation...just noticed that..If its done professionally or with care then I wouldnt mind...looks just like a half moon cut out

Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, my bike was 4 years old when I bought it, with 2 previous owners, and only 1300 miles. So don't be surprised by that.

I say go for it.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Ok so I checked out the bike again today...both lower side fairings are indeed cut (a small half moon) in order to have installed the crash cage...Not a big deal as I would immediately take off the cage and smooth up the small cuts...anyway...I'd like to say that this bike is mint aside from the cut fairings and small scuff on the stator cover...its stock down to the turn signals and windscreen...just sitting on the bike it felt much smaller and more compact around my crotch and knees..I read that starting in 07, the RR was the shortest (lengthwise) of the 600's and man do I notice..I think I could get used to it...my F4i just feels more solid as in heavier, built with more durable parts...that is probably pretty accurate as the 07 RR is soo light and most of its components are lightweight plastic (even the tank it seemed?) The exhaust manifolds were still shiny steel The undertail exhaust was shiny as well so I can tell its a pretty new bike (duh it has 6500miles on it) The handlebars didnt seem too aggressive but the owner stated that it had been lowered by the dealership or previous owner I didnt really notice it but after really looking I think he was right..The rims are hollow to reduce weight once again and to tell the truth, the bike felt as if it would shatter like glass should someone lay it down at any speed over 25mph. Anyway...I noticed that if you are sitting on the bike, the top left part of the tank where the tank meets the frame, there was a small "buldge" on the left side that almost looked like the tank then wouldnt sit flush..Im not sure if this was by design but it seemed odd I mean I know the HESD is under there someplace and attributed it to that but maybe I need to see another one to make sure??

So after all that has been said...is it pretty simple to uninstall the crash cage and bring the bike back to stock OEM suspension and height? I assume they just took out spacers in the forks? How do they lower a bike and how hard is it to get back to stock?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 09-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Bulge should be normal. Bike may feel a little more fragile at first but it's solid. It's still a Honda.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked

Plus 2 owners and only 5000 miles, what gives?
I'm the 3rd owner of my F4i and I got it with 5K on it...I just got a little nervous!!

Quick Reply: Would you even consider this bike? Crash cage