F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

would you buy a bike that went down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 07:09 AM

I bought my 02 F4i Last year with 6700 miles on it. It has an R Title. So it has been totalled out and rebuilt. I haven't had a problem with it (knock on wood.)

Just because something has been dumped doesn't mean it is bad.

Old 03-17-2011 | 07:57 AM

Honestly... I would, but not at that price. I found my 03 F4i, 13k miles, clean title; it was listed on craigslist for $3200, I talked to the guy a while and couldn't get him to come down on the price anymore than $2800.

All of the sudden, I got a text about 2 weeks later saying he'd take $2000 cash that day only as he was about to leave the country for a month on a business trip. On the way there, I told my wife... if it tracks straight and runs good, I'm buying it... even if the fairings are trashed, LOL (They weren't, but the point is that I would've still bought it if they were.)

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:25 AM
|

nowensby,

i would post the ad on here so you could see the bike but last time i did that someone f'd me and bought the bike. its was a red/silver f4i but he dropped it leaving his garage 3 years ago so he repainted the fairings all silver. the bike needs nothing. just had the oil change. new tires,battery,and has the mods im looking for so i dont put to put anything extra into it. he wanted 4,000 for it but there was no way i was paying that much.

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:59 AM

Hey Alex, all three bikes i've ever purchased were let down. It really isn't a big deal, but a great negotiating point. A lot of factors can play in to price. The area, the season, and a 100 other things. The riding season is just about to start, so there'll be a lot of bikes going up for sale shortly, i wouldn't rush in to a purchase. If you're willing to do some work on a bike, then check out forums.13x.com, that's a wera site for track guys, they sell bikes very often, and i found my CBR from there. Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2011 | 09:10 AM

All my bikes were down. Shoot my bike has been down twice in it's life and it doesn't bother me. It's really how it goes down or doesn't. If it slides its more likely ok. If it did a flipping act in the air..well then your kind of screwed haha. Just go with your gut feeling.

Old 03-17-2011 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Alex F.
nowensby,

i would post the ad on here so you could see the bike but last time i did that someone f'd me and bought the bike. its was a red/silver f4i but he dropped it leaving his garage 3 years ago so he repainted the fairings all silver. the bike needs nothing. just had the oil change. new tires,battery,and has the mods im looking for so i dont put to put anything extra into it. he wanted 4,000 for it but there was no way i was paying that much.
I still think it's too much... Mine had 13k miles, power commander, -1/+2 sprockets, exhaust... but then again, I knew better than to shop in the spring time...

Old 03-17-2011 | 10:54 AM

mine had a scuffed fairing and a bent brake pedal from being down. so the answer would be yes.

Old 03-17-2011 | 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by nowensby
I still think it's too much... Mine had 13k miles, power commander, -1/+2 sprockets, exhaust... but then again, I knew better than to shop in the spring time...
You definitely got an awesome deal on that bike, but I wouldn't really use it as a benchmark for most f4i's for sale. You were able to find a very motivated seller than needed to get rid of the bike.

At least for my region, $3,200 has been a pretty neutral price for f4i's ranging from 13-24k miles and varying degrees of damage or modifications. I definitely think you could talk him down a bit depending on the extent of the damage, but I don't think that's too unreasonable. Prices are definitely on the rise now that spring is arriving and many more people are thinking about riding.

Back to the main topic, both bikes I've bought have been down before. Both rode smooth and straight and aside from scratched up fairings both have had some minor suprises that needed to be fixed or replaced down the road. Red flags for me (other than the obvious, damaged frame, forks, subframe) are bent wheels, bent/cracked exhaust, and bent or non symmetrical handlebars. Rashed plastics, broken mirrors/turn signals can occur from both high and low speed crashes, but if everything else checks out, I'm usually fine with those items being damaged.

Old 03-17-2011 | 07:39 PM
|

bought an 02 f4i today!