F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Would a F4i be a good starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Would a F4i be a good starter?

Quick question - would you choose as your first car an Ferrari? A porsche? Well the 600 is going to spank both of those marquees off the line - and the 1/4 mile dash.

There is no other vehicle out there that you can by as close to race spec as this (was) for next to no money, and next to no training.

I'm sorry - a 600 is a f**king stupid bike to start on. All the folk who chime in and say anything less is boring can sell their f**king porsches and buy a f**king star ship. Yes that's tongue in cheek, a 600 is a p***y bike, you need at 1000cc to be considered a boy.

The simple physics of it - a 600 will respond faster than you can think. A 250/500 ninja will both out pace a car to any legal speed in the country. Get something used, smaller for a first bike. It's cheaper to insure, cheaper to run, has good resale and easier/safer to learn on. Come back when you say you're bored of it, or need a bigger bike. You can get on my F4 and I'll spank you with what ever "boring bike" you brought. Learn to ride, and then decide if you want a ferrari classed vehicle...

Sorry - lack of coffee, a miserable day of "work" and the repetive requests for someone to tell them it's ok to buy something that REALLY ISN'T safe to learn on... it'll do it to you. In 5 years you'll write the same thing... don't worry. We've all started, and all been mislead or confused...

Woot

Old 06-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not? i dont think its bad to start on a 600..i started on a 600 but havent dropped a bike yet...but then again i've only been riding for a year or so...so i dono. i started on a f2...neway i dont think its a bad idea to start on a 600 but if i were u i'd save my money and get an older, crappier bike to start off with haha.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM

yeah but what all these other guys is sayin...i think it'd be a much better idea to start off with somethin smaller...but if you ask me i dont think its such a terrible idea to start 600. just depends on the rider i guess and how responsible you are. if you're a show off, just stay off bikes period lol..

Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM

I got an F4i as my first bike and I regret it to a certain extent. I wish I had gotten a smaller bike to learn and practice on. The Kawi 250 ninjas are a good way to start. They have excellent resale value. I would say start on a 250 and then get the F4i.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Good starter bikes
-GS500
-EX250, EX500 (Ninja)
-Honda Hawk, NT650...very forgiving
Or any old piece of sh*t will do the trick, even if it is for 3-4 months. The summer will be done and you won't get hosed on a deal.
-Even a SV650 would be a step down from the F4i...a very balanced bike.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

gahh.. stupid forum problems...

but a 600 isn't a good idea... they're too powerful and the throttle and brakes are waaaaay to powerful for a new rider.

Get a 250 or a 500... ride it this season, sell it at the beginning of the season next year, and get a bigger bike.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM

I would have to say no. I was going to start on a 600 but after reading several post claiming both you will get bored and a 600 will be fine, I decided to get a 250. I don't regret it at all as its easy to learn on and it taught me how to ride and makes the transition much easier. Had I got my F4i as my first bike I'm sure I would have regreted it.

A ninja 500 would be fine too. That was my very first bike but after dropping it over and over on the first day I decided at 5'1 100 lbs. I should learn on something smaller and sold it shortly after in exhange for the 250. Go with a 250 Ninja or 500. They do keep there vaule, I actually made a profit from selling my 250. $1,500 profit, but the guy I bought it from sold it to me for a ridiculous price so that isn't the norm, but I don't think you will lose much resale it vaule if any. Just find someone who wants to get rid of it and I'm sure you won't pay much at all, save up for a 600 and then when your ready to move up you'll be ready.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 AM

shouldn't be to bad if your not a moron. just remember that fairings are expensive and they break really easily.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 AM

WoW, I just wrote a whole bunch and then the site didn't post It ( that sux ). Long story short, I am a very responsible person I dont drink, smoke, do drugs, and I try to help others. I have always wanted a bike and finally had the money to take the MSF course and I don't plan to do wheelies, stoppies, and w/e else you can do on the bike. I just want a nice looking bike to ride around on. Sportbikes look amazing and thats why I have always wanted one. Thanks for all of the advice but for the ones who say the F4i would be a bad first bike to get, I ask would a Suzuki SV650 be a good first bike? Or Is the Kawasaki 250 the only good first bike?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM

My first is an F4i, still have it, not dropped it, riding for about a year now however...

I would probably get the new ninja 250, it looks bad ***, cheap, you could get a new one if your on a budget, great resale value, and would be a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm a wuss on the f4i cause it's powerful and scares me, I just started opening it up and riding around curves more aggressively and at higher RPMs, and will never get to ride it to it's potential unless I take it to a track...or I decide that I want to die on the street

Quick Reply: Would a F4i be a good starter?