F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

working on it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default working on it.

Hey guys,

Im buying my first bike and its a fixer upper. I want to know what you think about the price im getting on it. Its an 05 CBR600F4i. it was laid down at about twenty miles per hour and needs a new front fairing, front wheel fairing, a speedometer and a headligth. Mechanically the bike is sound. We dont know the exact mileage due to the damaged speedo, but the guy says it has less than 2000 miles on it which i can beleive because it still has the dealer plate on it. he said the accident happened a couple months after he bought it and it has sent since and hasnt found the cash to repair it. I think he got scared becasue he didnt have a helmet and busted his head and is truly why he selling it. but thats my theory. I am getting it for 1700. I have abotu 500 into it already in a used speedomoter off and 01, and new fiberglass front fairing and an aftermarket headlight. I plan on sanding down the other oem fairings and painting them all a gloss black. What do you guys think about the price? and the work? is a beginner going to be able to handle these repairs?

thank you

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Thats a pretty good price if you got the bike and everything you need to repair it for $2200. I paid $1000 for a similar condition 01. I needed new side fairings, windscreen, speedo, headlight lens was effed up but i just decided to sand and polish out the scratches. All those repairs are easy and should only take a couple hours. Of course the painting depends on the quality of paint and your experience/ability but other than that you shouldnt have too much trouble

Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM

do you knwo much about the mileage on the speedometer or am i always going to be guessing? is there a way to reset a speedo or will i always just have to know how many miles it is off by?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM

You can take it to a shop or dealership i think and have them set the mileage on your new odometer to match the bikes actual mileage if you can find that out. If not youre gonna be stuck with with whatever the mileage on the speedo you buy says and then youll just have to use that as a starting point. Id write it down or keep it somewhere so if you go to sell it you know how many miles youve put on it since then and can just add that on to your estimate of the bikes current mileage and you can have a roundabout guess of how many miles are on the bike and engine.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nickp123
You can take it to a shop or dealership i think and have them set the mileage on your new odometer to match the bikes actual mileage if you can find that out. If not youre gonna be stuck with with whatever the mileage on the speedo you buy says and then youll just have to use that as a starting point. Id write it down or keep it somewhere so if you go to sell it you know how many miles youve put on it since then and can just add that on to your estimate of the bikes current mileage and you can have a roundabout guess of how many miles are on the bike and engine.
You could try http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm
Maybe if you send them an email they might be able to help you out.
Im not sure if they can get the actual mileage but they can reset it to what you think it is Im assuming

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM

Thank you man, that is so cool! i've never joined a forum but already realizing how cool it is! i truly appreciate the knowledge. makes me feel so much better about buying an old speedometer

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM

I'll have pictures up on Sunday of the damage and the work that will be coming. has anyone rebuilt and f4i nose?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM

We can help you out. What is broke and needs replaced? If you don't know what it;s called just snap a pic and point to whatever you're confused about in microsoft paint and someone will know how to help. Not sure what you mean by nose-whether you mean the fairings, forks, wheels. or what but we'll help you one way or another. lol

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 AM

I'd say its a great deal....i'd buy it for that much and good luck with the rebuid and ppl love to help out round here .....have fun

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
We can help you out. What is broke and needs replaced? If you don't know what it;s called just snap a pic and point to whatever you're confused about in microsoft paint and someone will know how to help. Not sure what you mean by nose-whether you mean the fairings, forks, wheels. or what but we'll help you one way or another. lol

i will be replacing the nose fairing, headlight speedomete and the front wheel fairing. Im hoping there isn't any underlying issues other than these. I looked at the bike very quickly when i went to check it out. All the side fairings are still good and intact with the fairing bolt holes and everytihng. I think they are a little beat up but thats no big deal to me. i am kind of thinking about stripping it down and making into a street fighter. Anyone got any pics of and 4fi stripped into a street fighter? Im pretty sure there was no damage mechanically or to the forks or frame. I drove it and it seem to ride great. I'll know more on sunday. And parts should be here next wk! should be ready for paint in two weeks im hoping.

Quick Reply: working on it.