F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

wiring integrated taillight

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wiring integrated taillight

hey guys. im trying to wire an integrated taillight on my 04 f4i. the previous owner of the bike had some retarded LEDs installed and the wiring looks crappy. anyway, i've noticed that there are two sets of 3 wires for the taillights themselves, 2 sets of 2 wires for the turn signals and one set of 2 wires for the license plate light. when i'm looking at the wires coming from the integrated taillight, there is one set of 3 wires ended with one connector and 2 wires (one blue and one yellow) next to it. could you please let me know about how to wire it properly? any help is appreciated. thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM

i just installed a intergrated tail light...

1-connecter plugs into 1-of the stock tail brake light connections..where the bulb plugs into...leave the extra bulb connection alone just take out the bulb.. i black taped it shut and put it to the side...

the blue and yellow connectors are for the turn signals 1-for the left and 1-for the right..

plug it in exactly like the pics and you'll be allright...i cut the clips off the stock connectors and was able to use them for the new plugs...use the smallest flat scredriver to push out the stock wires from the front of the connector to the back and then just slide in you new wire in the connector and make sure it snaps or graps good..connect and go....hope this helps...let me know if this helps...sorry if it sounds confusing?

Name:  Picture2220.jpg
Views: 3968
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  Picture2222.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  Picture2225.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  47.1 KB

Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 PM

the 2 three wire sets are for the brake lights. one is ground, one is running, and one is for the actual brake light.. the green is the ground on the bike by the way. i'd have to see a picture but i can tell you that th egreen on the bike is the ground. chances are he has the grounds spliced together on the tail light.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the reply and pictures. I decided to take some pics and show you what I have, that way you know what I'm working with. Notice how the cables are all messed up by the previous owner. I suppose I should wrap the 3 bare wires with an electric tape (since I'm not going to need them), right? From your pics I see I should get rid of the green cable on both turn signals, right? Also, I've included pics of the taillight wires. As you can see, theres a yellow connector. Can I utilize it or am I going to have to cut it off? Thanks for your time.

Attached Thumbnails wiring integrated taillight-img_1989.jpg   wiring integrated taillight-img_1990.jpg   wiring integrated taillight-img_1992.jpg   wiring integrated taillight-img_1993.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 AM

No offense, but that's some seriously ugly electric wiring by the previous owner. It's almost certain to eventually give you trouble.

Two schools of thought here. One is to wire using crimp-on style connectors, with lugs and connectors you insert the wire into then crimp. If done correctly, it's reliable and that's how the factory makes harnesses.

The second is to solder and then insulate the connections with electrical tape or (better) heat shrink tubing. I use both methods--prefer solder to break into existing circuits and crimp-on for new, replacement wiring.

Once you've got the circuits sorted out, take the time to do it right. On the street, you can't afford to have rear lights and brake lights that don't work.

--Paul

Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mbison83
Thanks so much for the reply and pictures. I decided to take some pics and show you what I have, that way you know what I'm working with. Notice how the cables are all messed up by the previous owner. I suppose I should wrap the 3 bare wires with an electric tape (since I'm not going to need them), right? From your pics I see I should get rid of the green cable on both turn signals, right? Also, I've included pics of the taillight wires. As you can see, theres a yellow connector. Can I utilize it or am I going to have to cut it off? Thanks for your time.
as for the 3-bare wires, yes wrap them up you wont need...unless those are you brake light wires? i don't see where those belong?

as for the green cable, yes you don't need them on the turn signals...

and for the big yellow connector..that goes plugged into one of you brake lights and just don't use the other one... make sure to take out bulb on the extra brake light and just black tape it and move it to the side you will have no need for it..let me know

Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by JIMMY02F4I
as for the 3-bare wires, yes wrap them up you wont need...unless those are you brake light wires? i don't see where those belong?

as for the green cable, yes you don't need them on the turn signals...

and for the big yellow connector..that goes plugged into one of you brake lights and just don't use the other one... make sure to take out bulb on the extra brake light and just black tape it and move it to the side you will have no need for it..let me know
Do you ever go to WLA? I'd appreciate some assistance with it if its possible.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:11 PM

there are 3 wires on the subharness going TO the taillight - green/yellow, green, and black/brown. question: how do i hook them up with the wires coming FROM the taillight - red, yellow, black?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mbison83
there are 3 wires on the subharness going TO the taillight - green/yellow, green, and black/brown. question: how do i hook them up with the wires coming FROM the taillight - red, yellow, black?
From the subharness on the bike, the green/yellow is the brake light, the green is the tail (running light) and the black is the ground. You say black/brown, but my wiring diagram doesn't have that.

From the tail light, the black should be the ground, the yellow is probably brake and the red the running tail light. I suspect you could swap the tail light and the brake light wires and get the same results.

If you've got a voltmeter and some leads, you can check all this before you hook it up. With the black wire from your integrated light hooked to the negative on the battery--directly to it, with a wire--hook the red then the yellow and see what lights up. Then you can figure out which to connect where.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Berto
From the subharness on the bike, the green/yellow is the brake light, the green is the tail (running light) and the black is the ground. You say black/brown, but my wiring diagram doesn't have that.

From the tail light, the black should be the ground, the yellow is probably brake and the red the running tail light. I suspect you could swap the tail light and the brake light wires and get the same results.

If you've got a voltmeter and some leads, you can check all this before you hook it up. With the black wire from your integrated light hooked to the negative on the battery--directly to it, with a wire--hook the red then the yellow and see what lights up. Then you can figure out which to connect where.
thank you. i will try that.

Quick Reply: wiring integrated taillight