F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

wiring

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

I was planning on putting some blue lights deep in the airducks so that when the bike is on it will glow. My question is can i splice the wire of the head lights and connect it through there and will it cause any problems? What would the best way to do this?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I'd use the running light (next to the turn signal) wire to do it, imo.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 AM

which wire would that be? what color is it?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Incognito
If I were you, I'd use the running light (next to the turn signal) wire to do it, imo.
I wouldn't, cause it turns off whenever you use the turn signal.

I'd use a multimeter to find a wire that turns on with the key (like the headlight wire, or something similar). Then tap into that wire and direct it to a relay, which will allow you to hook up as many accessories as you want without putting a ton of extra draw on the wire you tapped into. Google automotive relays for some basic information on how to use them. It's easier than it seems.

Ideally, you could tap into the fuse box with an add-a-circuit (little thing with a fuse and wire on it for adding accessories such as lights), but I'm pretty sure nothing turns on/off before the fuse box, so that wouldn't really work.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 AM

What I did for my wiring, is I ran a line from the battery, toggle switched it, and then ran my lights off that, so I can turn them on and off when I want to.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't, cause it turns off whenever you use the turn signal.
I was under the impression that the running light wires were constantly hot and only became intermittent (blink) when the ground wire was interrupted by the turn signal relay. So if an alternate ground was utilized, they shouldn’t blink. But there’s more than one way to skin a cat and my suggestion is merely speculative, whereas Aken has more experience with the F4i, so I'd listen to him . Either way ryan make sure you make a definite detemination before you go on splicing any wires.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM

What I did for my wiring, is I ran a line from the battery, toggle switched it, and then ran my lights off that, so I can turn them on and off when I want to.
That's smart; there's no point in running a bunch of lights during the daytime .

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Incognito
I was under the impression that the running light wires were constantly hot and only became intermittent (blink) when the ground wire was interrupted by the turn signal relay. So if an alternate ground was utilized, they shouldn’t blink. But there’s more than one way to skin a cat and my suggestion is merely speculative, whereas Aken has more experience with the F4i, so I'd listen to him . Either way ryan make sure you make a definite detemination before you go on splicing any wires.
The front turn signals have a three-wire setup: positive running light, positive turn signal, and common ground. The running light is on when the key is on. Then when you use the turn signal, a relay is activated (or deactivated), cutting off the power on the running light, and the turn signal acts like normal (to be specific, it sends a pulsing positive signal to both signals and the light on your gauge). Everything is positive switched, not ground switched.

And yes, Ryan definitely get a good plan before you go cutting anything. If you don't have some flush mount turn signals and you wouldn't mind getting some, this would be a good time to do so, since you'd be doing some wire splicing anyway (if you got some less expensive ones that is).

Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Now if i do it the way stephens did his, would i still need a relay?

did you do a how to thread stephens?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Everything is positive switched, not ground switched.
Thanks for clarifying that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring