F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winter Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Welcome crew
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Winter Overhaul

What started as a winter break overhaul, starting towards the end of December, ended up taking much... much longer than I anticipated. 6 1/2 weeks later, the bike is back together (mostly, just needs the fairings) and ready to head out for a test ride on the next non-wet, 40+ degree day! With just over 21,000 on the odo, I did the following:

Replaced stock chain and sprockets with a 520 conversion and -1 tooth on the front sprocket.
Put 4mm of shims on the rear shock mount.
Replaced the FPR in the hopes of getting my mpg back where it used to be.
Performed a valve clearance check which then morphed into a valve shim replacement for all of 'em which then turned into a game of "how many times can I take the camshaft cover off?" Answer: 9. I'm really, really good at getting those 20 bolts in and out now!
Synched the throttle bodies but, weirdly enough, the only one that needed any adjustment was #2 and just barely.

You may be asking "Doc, why so much camshaft cover work?" If you aren't asking, well, then you're done here! If you are, well, lemme tell you that I was terrified of getting the timing marks wrong. With the engine case at an angle, the frame making it very difficult to view at an even level, my failing close up vision, and the fact that when I rotated the intake cam one way it was too low but going the other way looked too high, I mentally froze for a while. In addition, when I was replacing the shims, I started by putting them in the buckets and then lowering them into their seat with a magnet (Pro Tip: Don't! Use your fingers to set them in their seat!), resulting in zero clearance on two of the intake valves. Anyway, the wife helped out with a straight edge on the case while I fiddled with the chain and cams until they lined up. Still didn't look like I thought they had before I started but I just couldn't keep stressing over it and went ahead and buttoned it up yesterday.

So, all that ****'s done! I started her up and she sounded just fine! I'm still too close to say it was a good learning experience but I'm sure I'll feel differently after getting her and me out of the cold garage and onto the cold pavement!

I'm shouting out a huge "Thanks!" to all the old heads who posted so much helpful info (write-ups, tips, suggestions) in the early years! Could not have done it without you... and the YouTube.