F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Which windscreen helps with wind?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which windscreen helps with wind?

ORIGINAL: Daffy472

Is there any windscreens that actually help with wind noise and/or aerodynamics? With stock one even if I lie on the tank and keep my head as low as possible, I still feel pretty strong wind pressure on my helmet and wind noise is still pretty high. I wonder if any aftermarket windscreen could help.
Most after market screens "help" but are really only designed to help with aerodynamic over your head in the tuck position and around you but not much help otherwise or a "huge" difference from stock unless you ride track. The ZGDB does raise the wind slightly higher than stock. There are a couple that I've seen that are more geared towards touring if that's what you're going for (I've never seen one in person or have any personal experience with it though):

1) VARIO
2) VARIO2

here's one dudes review on it from sportsbike.net:

Difference in windscreens. I would have to say that the stock windscreen would be my last choice. The Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen was a great improvment over stock. But MRA has the cat in the bag when it comes to a windscreen that can be adjusted to the rider. Over the winter I was searching the internet for a better solution for a windscreen for my ZZR. I had remembered that a good friend of mine had a MRA Vario Touring Screen on his ZZR1200. So I started searching MRA's website. I decided to use my marketing skills and contacted the production manager of MRA in Germany. They make some very nice windscreens for all types of motorcycles. I convinced them to produce for me a one off VARIO TOURING SCREEN. For those of you who are wondering what is a Vario Touring Screen? It consists of MRA's Touring screen in dark smoke of course with an adjustable spoiler attached. The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider. MRA does not currently produce one that will fit a 1998-2002 ZX6R aka 2005-2006 ZZR600. I ordered the windscreen in December of 2005 and received it at the end of February. The windscreen had a production date of February 10, 2006 at MRA in Germany. The MRA Vario Touring Screen makes riding long distances much more enjoyable because you can adjust the spoiler to redirect air flow so it's takes pressure off of your helmet thus taking pressure off of your neck, which makes for much more enjoyable riding and less fatigue on your neck muscles. This one is a goody, especially since I have the first one ever to fit a 2006 ZZR600 in the entire world.

and another similiar product:
3) Saeng

Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for detailed info!

Double bubble seems likea better option for me though. I don't plan doing much touring,if itcould remove some pressure in a tuck position it would be just want I am looking for.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

Im 5'11 and I have the Puig Double Bouble. Its directs the wind directly over my head and when im down low it blocks me from almost all the wind. I like to ride with my face sheild up most of the time and the Puig def. helps me out alot!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM

How will that Puig Double Bouble work for a 6'1 guy ya think :P?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 02cbrf4i4u

I like to ride with my face sheild up most of the time and the Puig def. helps me out alot!

Aren't you afraid of stuff smacking you in the eye? I rode a couple of times in town with my face shield up and a big bug smacked my right in the cheek. OUCH! If that would've been my eye, i would be in bad shape. learned my lesson right then and there.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: nfamousdevil

ORIGINAL: 02cbrf4i4u

I like to ride with my face sheild up most of the time and the Puig def. helps me out alot!

Aren't you afraid of stuff smacking you in the eye? I rode a couple of times in town with my face shield up and a big bug smacked my right in the cheek. OUCH! If that would've been my eye, i would be in bad shape. learned my lesson right then and there.

/agree right there my friend haha. I ride with it up sometimes, but a rock hit me in the eye once and it hurt like a bit**. So I try to keep it down now :P

Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Picked up some ear plugs today, wow I am not sure if I need double bubble anymore. You hear pretty much exactly the sameas withina car. For highway riding it's a must have for sure. The only downside is that I can't enjoy my pipe as much as before...

Does anyone know some good online shopthat sells hundreds of them cheap? Our local store sells them for $1.2 per pair which is kind of expensive for disposable ones...

Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home Depot sells packs of'em fairly cheap.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

Is there any windscreens that actually help with wind noise and/or aerodynamics? With stock one even if I lie on the tank and keep my head as low as possible, I still feel pretty strong wind pressure on my helmet and wind noise is still pretty high. I wonder if any aftermarket windscreen could help.
Most after market screens "help" but are really only designed to help with aerodynamic over your head in the tuck position and around you but not much help otherwise or a "huge" difference from stock unless you ride track. The ZGDB does raise the wind slightly higher than stock. There are a couple that I've seen that are more geared towards touring if that's what you're going for (I've never seen one in person or have any personal experience with it though):

1) VARIO
2) VARIO2

here's one dudes review on it from sportsbike.net:

Difference in windscreens. I would have to say that the stock windscreen would be my last choice. The Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen was a great improvment over stock. But MRA has the cat in the bag when it comes to a windscreen that can be adjusted to the rider. Over the winter I was searching the internet for a better solution for a windscreen for my ZZR. I had remembered that a good friend of mine had a MRA Vario Touring Screen on his ZZR1200. So I started searching MRA's website. I decided to use my marketing skills and contacted the production manager of MRA in Germany. They make some very nice windscreens for all types of motorcycles. I convinced them to produce for me a one off VARIO TOURING SCREEN. For those of you who are wondering what is a Vario Touring Screen? It consists of MRA's Touring screen in dark smoke of course with an adjustable spoiler attached. The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider. MRA does not currently produce one that will fit a 1998-2002 ZX6R aka 2005-2006 ZZR600. I ordered the windscreen in December of 2005 and received it at the end of February. The windscreen had a production date of February 10, 2006 at MRA in Germany. The MRA Vario Touring Screen makes riding long distances much more enjoyable because you can adjust the spoiler to redirect air flow so it's takes pressure off of your helmet thus taking pressure off of your neck, which makes for much more enjoyable riding and less fatigue on your neck muscles. This one is a goody, especially since I have the first one ever to fit a 2006 ZZR600 in the entire world.

and another similiar product:
3) Saeng

Hello my name is Jay I'm the moderator for the Kawasaki forum on sportbikes.net and the person responsible for the production of the MRA Vario Touring Screen that MRA currently produces to fit the 2005-2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 aka 1998-2002 ZX6R "J" model. It's weird how you run across things on the internet. I was using google to search another type of windscreen and read my review of the MRA Vario Touring Screen here on the CBR forum. If someone here is still looking for a windscreen solution please feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to offer my help. Jay

Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Picked up some ear plugs today, wow I am not sure if I need double bubble anymore. You hear pretty much exactly the sameas withina car. For highway riding it's a must have for sure. The only downside is that I can't enjoy my pipe as much as before...

Does anyone know some good online shopthat sells hundreds of them cheap? Our local store sells them for $1.2 per pair which is kind of expensive for disposable ones...
I am in the military and we use some decent plugs that offer two different choices of sound blockage. I have had the same plugs for quite some time. Got a stupid little hard case to keep them in when not in use. I use them when riding and either option works well. Check any gun store, or sporting goods outlet

Quick Reply: Which windscreen helps with wind?