F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Windscreen chafing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen chafing

Just bought a '01 F4i used that's pretty immaculate, but there's an interesting problem; with the bars full left, the brake reservoir chafes against a windscreen screw. It's an aftermarket tinted screen, so I feel like that might have something to do with it, but has anyone heard of this happening? The bike is structurally sound and the forks are straight, fairings straight and correct, at least it feels fine, so I dont think the chafe was caused by something like a wreck. I've got no idea.

Input is appreciated.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Default RE: Windscreen chafing

hmm...I'm thinking it may be due to a low side on the right side of the bike. I'm really interested to know what the problem is. Try adjusting the brake reservoir. Keep us updated!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:34 PM

A low side, eh? There is some VERY faint scratches on the right side, but it looks more like a slo-mo drop. If it was caused by a low side, what would be the principal thing that's tweaked? Nothing looks off in the, uh, cockpit or whatever, or from the outside. I'll check out adjusting the reservoir.

I appreciate the reply.

Best,
L

Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM

I have an aftermarket windscreen on my bike too, and i think i remember the time or two i've taken it off, there were different length screws that held it on. If you have different length screws, try putting the shorter ones on that top right side of the windscreen. Or you could cut the screw shorter. Just an idea for a cheap fix.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM

True, you could just shave the screw or use a shorter one. However, you wouldn't really be solving the problem because you don't really know what it is. It could be a bit serious...maybe the forks could be bent a little or something...dunno. You gotta check

Try checking the front cowl too. Maybe it's crooked or bent so that the screw is chaffing the cap. Check for symmetery.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 AM

mine was laid down and the metal piece that holds the mirror and cowl on is bent inward

Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 AM

yeah, that's what i meant

Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Well... The six screws that go into the windscreen are of different lengths.. I did this too when I installed my aftermarket windscreen. It wasnt chafing before then all of a sudden it was... check your bolt lengths you just might have a longer bolt in the top hole

Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone, problem solved. It was, as many surmised, the different screw lengths. After swapping them, it no longer chafes. But now I need a new reservoir cover, cuz this one's scratched. Think Ill go with billet.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM

I had the same problem but thats because I cracked my upper fairing bracket and it bent it down....all my screws were the same length, If your mirrors arent exactly the same spot on both sides your upper fairing or lower fairing bracket may be bent, even though you changed the screws already you may want to check the brackets, the upper fairing bracket is like cast aluminum or somthing

Quick Reply: Windscreen chafing