F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

wind

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind

i had my first experience riding in serious wind this weekend. i was trying to get home before it hit but i didn't make it. we had gusts up to 20mph.
i had to ride home on a state highway, speed limit 55. but on this particular road, you are a hazard if you are moving under 60. i was keeping it right at 55-57 and i was getting passed like i was standing still. it was a little nerve racking. i was constantly fighting the bike and i nearly got blown over twice.

what do you do in wind like this? my obvious choice would be to not ride but i didn't have that option at the time. i was leaning as far forward as i could. i was laying on the gas tank and i had my head just high enough to see over the windscreen. if i sat up any higher, it felt like the wind hit me more (obviously) and was a lot harder to control.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Default RE: wind

Uh well there's a point where there's nothing you can do. That's like asking, what can I do to keep from getting wet in the rain

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM

well i figured i did everything right, but i didn't know if maybe there was a hidden secret to riding in the wind that i didn't know about.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Just have to put your body into it, remember to weight the outside peg for stability. React quickly to changing conditions, but remember to be smooth in your actions above all else.

It's always hard riding in wind, and the lighter the bike, the harder it is.

When the Cedar fires hit San Diego 5 years ago, I was riding my little Ninja 250 up Scripps Poway Parkway, and air was being sucked across that road into the flame front at something around 40-50mph. Imagine riding in a straight line, but being leaned over as if you were going into a banked corkscrew turn. Yeah, nerve racking is exactly how that feels. Pucker factorgoes up tenfold.

the blonde weasel

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM

ya riding in wind sucks... I also had a Ninja 250 and it was pretty scary riding in high winds... or even slight wind you'd feel way more then on a 600. I sure notice a difference when riding in winds on the F4i... not quite as scary lol but I try to not ride in high winds... I'm a wuss [:'(]

Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't put the cover when you park your bike! reducing wind cross section is what its all about.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM

i hate comming across clearings. it could be a windless day and as soon as you hit the clearing...it seems like you got hit by a 30mph gust, almost getting pushed into the next lane

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Pppft. I rode in 45mph winds yesterday in north-western ohio. Not fun!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: glacier_white_F4i

i hate comming across clearings. it could be a windless day and as soon as you hit the clearing...it seems like you got hit by a 30mph gust, almost getting pushed into the next lane
ya i had cleared corn fields on my right and left the whole way. there was point that i was actually learning the bike at almost a 45 degree angle to the road just to stay going straight. that lasted for like 4 minutes. i hit an area with trees on either side that blocked the wind. i stood it up real quick as soon as i came out of that, a gust hit me and took me across the lane to the white line. i'll be honest, i think i peed a little.
it was rough. i felt like i just got done working out when i got home. i've ridden at 70+ on the interstate in heavy traffic and didn't get nervous like i was here.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Go faster and cut through it! J/K. sounds like you're not an experienced rider. The first time I was in heavy winds I felt the same way. You'll get better and more confident soon enough. My bike came with a tinted screen so I picked up a clear screen so I could see through it when I got lower, yeah that's really low I know. If you have trouble getting that low try to scoot back on the seat a little.

Quick Reply: wind