F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Why did you choose F4i over RR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you choose F4i over RR?

I think the majority of F4i owners had tough decision to make - F4i or 600RR. Lets hear your story what made you settle on F4i instead of more modern RR (or instead of other bike if you'd like to tell).

When I started to look for a bike I knew about motorcycles pretty much nothing except liter bikes are not good for a first bike. So, my initial choice was R6 as the best looking bike out there (I still think it is). But then I started doing some research and found out that it is not newbie friendly and track oriented. Then I switched to RR, still liked its look, and it seemed like it is for road-track usage (according to articles). But then I found a lot of threads "Is RR good newbie bike" with some horror stories how it instantly kills everything that comes close , it scaried my pretty good and I decided to go with SV650 as the majority recommend for a first bike, which I didn't like at all.

I didn't think at that time about F4i for some reason at all, I saw it on Honda site and though it is something outdated and ugly. But then I found this forum, read a few hundreds "Is F4i good for beginners" threads and even though some said that it still kills everything that moves, there were a lot of good feedback about it. Then I went to a dealership and when I saw it in yellow I understood that it is what I want - it looked so much better than on pictures (and especially comparing to SV650 )

So, if to choose one option, I would say that I chose it over RR because it is more newbie friendly. Maybe if I didn't listen to others that much I would be riping streets on RR, but I decided to take it slowly and don't regret about it. Now I love F4i and every ride is a joy. Maybe RR will be my next bike, maybe not. I don't want it that much right now, there is still so much to discover in F4i that it should keep me interested for a few years at least.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Why did you choose F4i over RR?

i'll be honest with you...i did NO research at all (i know really stupid now)...i knew nothing about bikes prior to getting my first (my f4i).....i took the msf course and my wife's co-worker was selling his '01 red/black for a decent price and it had a whopping 3.2K miles on it....so i jumped on it because i saw it and thought it looked awesome (all clean and purty)....it has been my first bike and i love it....has yet to get away from me but i enjoy the pull and thrill of turning it up occasionally (on the highway, not insane speeds)...it's just always like you said...a joy to ride...i am now becoming very familiar with the sportbike "culture" and the different bikes out there...and i can honestly say i still love the look of the f4i...not too aggressive, but you know it can move...on the added plus, i love the honda community and will likely be a honda-lifer now....

much love to the F4i....

Old 09-04-2007, 02:13 PM

1. I also did similar research and found that most people said it was more newb friendly
2. It was cheaper

I really like the look of both bikes, however I really like undertail exhausts. A f4i with an undertail exhaust would look best IMO, while on the subject of other bikes I really like the new zx6rs too

Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
IDL

I also didn't know much about bikes when I got an F4i. I learned on a buddies 1989 CBR 600 Hurricane and liked it so I figured I'd pursue a newer CBR. I didn't even know the difference between F4i and RR so it just turned out that the bike I found and liked was an F4i.

I love it an honestly have no desire to get an RR. I think the F4i is more well rounded and versitile making it great for the streets and on trips.
I'd say the RR is a bit cooler in looks but I love the look of the F4i too (split seat, custom exhaust)

I don't feel the need for more power (ok, maybe 20 more hp)sincethe big gains you get with a litre bike from what I can tell are in high speed acceleration (100kph+) and top speed. 0-100 times are fairly close I think

I also read that the F4iis faster than theRR in 0-100 just slightly, due to easier launch

Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM

my turn, my turn lol... well to tell the truth I actually got the 600RR for my first bike... I did just a lil bit of research and found that honda in general is a killer on the tracks but yet still very user friendley, unlike a lot of the others I researched (plus my boy is a honda die harder lol) so i got the 05 and yeah it was very forgiving and light enough for me to wip it around on the streets (im not a track guy...yet) but it was too small for my 5'11 frame and I didnt even really realize it until I glanced over at a store front and caught a glimpse of myself looking like a jolly green giant on a pocket bike LOL and wondering why I had to take a couple of minutes and unfold after a ride. Also I am really not a speedo kinda guy so I sort of felt like the RR was being wasted away and not being able to put out its full potential (not to sound cheezy but for real) So I started doing some more research and looked at the f4i...... (not to mention my RR got jacked)
I love the f4i, It has a lil bigger frame and is more comfortablefor distance. I can dam sure tell the power difference though but what the hell im not a racer anyway. Shouldve been my first bike but the RR wasnt a bad first bike for me either.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:35 PM

For me, it was a trade offered to me. I had a '99 raced out R6 that I hated...HATED!, and dude had an '03 F4i with 4400miles that was cracked up pretty bad. May not have been the fairest trade but I was happy. Would have done the same if it was an RR.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 PM

I bought my F4i in 04 (a used '02). At that time RR's were the new bikes so the used F4i's were going fairly cheap (I paid around $4,700 for my 02 in Feb of 04 with around 5,000 miles). The few used 03 600RRs were a good bit more expensive and this was my first sportbike so I chose the F4i. I am VERY VERY glad I did. It was a hanful at first (my only riding experience was around 500 miles on a Kawi KE100 2-stroke dual purpose, over the span of around 5 years lol), but I took it slowly and worked my way up from complete noob to track junkie on the same F4i. It is a great all around bike, comfy on the street, yet still well at home on the track (with a few minor changes).

I've also got an 03 600RR now for street riding and its not nearly as comfy on the street as the F4i

Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM

I actually did some research (unlike a bunch of you, apparently) and came to the conclusion that the F4i was just the bike for me. And then went out and bought something else. I really liked the 919 and it was a great bike...but after riding one for some months and then riding my friend's F4i i realized that lightweight of the F4i was just what i wanted. And i couldnt' be happier with it. I didn't answer the survey because there was no one reason for my getting the F4i over the RR. Here are my reasons:

1) the RR was a little too tight for my 6'0' frame. Not uncomfortable...just a little too low.
2) a used F4i was cheaper (by far)

The only thing i didn't initially like about the F4i was the headlight. But i got used to it and kinda like it's destinctive look. The F4i is just a plain great bike for everything...good performance without the compromises of some of the other sportbikes.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM

Cheaper insurance

Quick Reply: Why did you choose F4i over RR?