F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Where's the skill at?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the skill at?

What do you think is more important? Cornering, Speed, Stunting..wheelies,& endos? I had a guy doggin me cuz I went to the track and tested my top end and he said there's no skill. I can track, corner and ride it to the edge of my tires. But all he does is wheelies and endos. What do you think?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Default RE: Where's the skill at?

Im a performance guy, Twisties and speed, the right line, max power out of the apex, trail braking, backing it in............

Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 AM

I like cornering and feeling your bike tire slide out a little bit under hard braking, but every aspect of motorcycling takes a ton of practice and failure to become skilled. That goes for stunting, dragging, or cornering. So I have respect for all unless they badmouth me for the way I ride.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 AM

Well with each thing you need some time to learn. Speeding is a given because thats the first thing we all learn. Afterward comes the cornering. which can be easily attempted after 6 weeks on the bike. Wheelies might take longer to learn and a clutch to burn. As for stoppie/endo there is always a fear of locking up or the front wheel will turn (speaking only for myself).

So, I would say that getting the bike to do what it was meant to do is not much of a challenge. The speed, track, and cornering are the fundamental uses of our bikes. However, getting a bike to do what it can and not what it was meant for, that is the actually challenge. Endos and wheelies require more of a feel to it and we need more time to learn than the rest. I would probably say that a “circle wheelie” is one of the most difficult tricks I have ever seen done and I will never attempt to do that.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 AM

I partially disagree alekinci, learning to corner is easy but doing it fast (on the track) is monumentally more difficult
I can't say that any aspect of riding is harder to do than any other, they're all easy to do the basics but pushing the limit doing anything is difficult

going around a corner on the street with only like 30 degrees of lean is easy but doing it at 60 degrees while trail braking to the apex and then applying power as you stand the bike up getting to full throttle as fast as possible while keeping the rear wheel from spinning, the whole time feeling what both tires are doing while leaned way off the bikeandkeeping the bike onan exact line all the way through the corneris another story entirely

then as you said, doing a wheelie is easy (modern sportbikes twisting the throttlea little more thanusual will bring the front wheel up) but complicated stuff like "circle wheelies" are much much more difficult

its always interesting to go to trackdays and watch the beginner group, there are always a few riders doing their 1st trackday that think they are God's gift to motorcycles and expect to be the fastest guys in Advanced group by the end of the day because they are "fast" street riders, then you watch the control riders following them around the track riding with one hand and turning around mid-corner to see who is behind them, these CRs aren't even pro racers many are just club racers that have been doing trackdays for a while

Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 AM

skills is involved in both.. if he said u have no skill cuz u dont stunt tell him to come into your truff and take some twists and if he cant hang... tell him that hes a newb and that he has no skillz lol... i cant do the track stuff... but im decent at stuntin i give props at both =]

Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

I partially disagree alekinci, learning to corner is easy but doing it fast (on the track) is monumentally more difficult
I can't say that any aspect of riding is harder to do than any other, they're all easy to do the basics but pushing the limit doing anything is difficult

going around a corner on the street with only like 30 degrees of lean is easy but doing it at 60 degrees while trail braking to the apex and then applying power as you stand the bike up getting to full throttle as fast as possible while keeping the rear wheel from spinning, the whole time feeling what both tires are doing while leaned way off the bikeandkeeping the bike onan exact line all the way through the corneris another story entirely

then as you said, doing a wheelie is easy (modern sportbikes twisting the throttlea little more thanusual will bring the front wheel up) but complicated stuff like "circle wheelies" are much much more difficult
+1, very well put.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 AM

the hardest skill is learning grace & restraint... Whether it be in the twisties, up on one wheel, or on a quarter mile strip.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Woody;
Its obvious that with either speeding, cornering (track or twisties), wheelie and endo there are inherent risk. All of these things are difficult from the beginning but they become more natural to do after practice. Just as you stated that doing the basics is easy, and that’s why they call it “the basics”.

Now this is what I was getting at. The bike is design for speed and track performance; hence, it is more manageable and innate to throw the bike down into a tight angle. I did say that with everything a person will need time to learn and no where did I say it would be easy. I have never been on the track and I would guess that 85+% of the people that ride have never been on a track as well. Most of the people out there and in here just ride in the streets and do some twisties. Since you race on the track I will take your word for it and assume that it does require more skill.

I would like to ask you this though, if you say that wheelie are easy and it just needs a flick of the throttle. Then why is every 10th post on this forum about some guys who wants to lift his front end up? They always claim that they tried everything possible. Also, why is it that all the people that do/ try to do rolling stoppies have busted up their bikes? We are not pros like you, we suck! However, my point still stands! That its not as challenging to push the bike to do what it was meant to do but its a challenge to push it to do what it can do. Am I really that wrong?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmm bp wheelies are hard to learn, esp slow its taking me forever and i keep wrecking, anyone who thinks its easy has never tried it. go clutch a wheelie from 2 mph and keep it under 20. see how long that takes u to learn

Quick Reply: Where's the skill at?