F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 04:47 PM
Default RE: wheelies

ORIGINAL: cbrhomie600

thanks for telling me the way it is.
I think you'll find that the people here are purists that ride because they love to ride, and because they have a passion and respect for these vehicles. You'll also find that they have a lot of respect for other riders. Just wait until you read some of the posts from guys that have bid farewell to the forum because they wrecked so badly once and are now so severely injured that they can no longer ride, or worse yet they can no longer walk or feed themselves. Then hopefully you'll understand where we're coming from.

Old 01-16-2006 | 05:39 PM

good job meng!

but you're much too kind to the young lad!
at 3 weeks...he still sucks.

Old 01-17-2006 | 01:34 AM

more clutch more gas!

Old 01-17-2006 | 02:01 AM

I too have an 01 F4I. I have been riding for about 6 weeks, and at 3 weeks also starting doing wheelies. I have NOT gone 145mph though, that is way too fast on 2 wheels. I did however get on the freeway on my first day out, fastest i've been is about 116mph(speedohealer recall) There are some things I need to practice and work on. But for a somewhat skilled driver/rider. IT is easy to hop on a 600 CC bike and blast around and think that you got it all. Some people just don't have the aptitude for riding/driving high performance machines, and are submisive sheep on the street and are scared. You may not be one of those people, but you must realize how squidly you sound asking how to do wheelies, and talking about doing 150mph.

If you have the stock sprockets 1st gear wheelies are gonna be the easiest to do. Once you go down a tooth in the front and up in the back, 1st gear is going to be wicked. Real easy to flip over with too much throttle. Second gear is much more controllable, however you will be going much faster. I don't even mess with first gear anymore after I changed sprockets and chain, it is too violent and I almost flew off the bike a few times!! Second gear is much smoother. However some days I just won't do it great, and I will realize its just not the day to try and do wheelies if I get that feeling. DO NOT force wheelies, just go with teh flow, you have to practice but if your not feeling it, don't insist on trying harder. Just wait another day. Right now I kinda cooled out on them after a day of fumbling with them. I'd rather go hit the twisties. much funner.

The main thing in doing the wheelie is clutching it. Just use ONE finger on the clutch, preferably your pointer finger. IT has to be smooth, your gonna gas the throttle and smoothly pop the clutch. The key is don't do anyting violent. Practice by starting low, don't gun the throttle too hard, and don't hit the clutch too hard, till you have a hang of it. Its all about being smooth. Once you go up, try not to get "too" scared cuz if you let off the throttle too fast your gonna slam the front down hard, but if you have to, let go of that throttle. The rear brake is the easiest way to bring it down, and your foot should be covering it all the time. Also start the wheelie by pushing yoru butt back some, so when you go up, you don't slide down too far and scare yourself.

Really though, you should slow down and think before you do retarded ****. Keep conscious and aware and don't get caught up in the moment. Its hard but you have to, this is serious ****. Hopefully you get some of this stupid stuff out of your system and grow up and be able to llok back and realize how dumb you were and how you've matured. Hopefully you don't kill yourself first.

Here is a bad picture of a second gear wheelie I did about 2 weeks ago;

Just keep a straight head on. You should wait to do wheelies, and don't fool yourself thinking doing 150mph means you ahve some skill. I did 100mph on the freeway My FIRST day ever riding, that doesn't make me a hero, just dumb. I don't blame you though, we all think our **** don't stink, until we learn better and take a look back. Just be carefull. If you insist on trying wheelies do it in a parking lot, and make sure to wear gear. If you haven't already seen video of people crashing doing low speed wheelies. IT TOTALS YOUR BIKE. Your bike will hit on every corner and damage everything on it. And you will be hurt, possibly severing your ankle off.

Old 01-17-2006 | 02:05 AM

i'm a begineer too. My friend has been riding for a really long time n does like 5 mile wheelies. But thats him n not me. I'm pretty ballsy, but honestly, u sound like one of the guys that was taking the safety course with me. He crashed n went down because he took a turn too fast. He said he was trying to take a right hand turn, on a LOCAL road, i asked him how fast he was going, he said around 60-70. N when the instructors were teaching him, he was stalling the bike left n right. Couldn't get the bike into gear and didn't know how to brake at all. I've only had my bike for 4 months, yea i want to learn how to do a wheelie, but honestly, i'm scared because i know if the bike starts to lean sideways, i wouldn't know what to do. I ski n snowboard, i know when i take a jump n start to land on an angle, if i don't adjust myself so that i straight out when i land, i'm going to wipe out. These are the types of things that u need to think about.

Just because u can go 145 doesn't mean ur good. Ur good if u can resist the temptation of going 145 n letting off the throttle when someone is trying to race you. Please learn self control before you really hurt yoruself.

Old 01-17-2006 | 02:33 AM

yody weren't you on sbn talking about wheeling after 3 weeks or so? Oh well sounds like you got a lil wiser but chromie don't get the guys wrong they are harsh but what do you expect you come in with a short time riding and ask how to do a wheelie? The guys with exp here wanna see more riders but they also want to see less riders going down so they mean well and if you stick around you'll see they are only trying to help.

Old 01-17-2006 | 03:50 AM

yeah that was me. I got banned from there for telling some square how it was. Called me an idiot, so I called him out......but anyway. A good point is that I too on that board came across like a total squid, no matter how many times I agreed with everyone, a few stupid statements by me turned into a huge flamefest. No matter how hard you think or try to convince people you know it, when you are new, You DON"T know it. Problem was that I like many other newbies get very defensive when accused/attacked. ITs hard to teach a new guy the rules because if your nice, they don't listen. And if your an ***, they get defensive and definetly don't listen. I am actually a safety **** around my friends, they are way worse than me, I wear way more gear than most of them and am always preaching to them about doing stuff. But since I am the squid of course they don't listen. But I still stand behind the theory that there are people with more of a natural ability to ride, but that doesnt' mean that they have more common sense or maturity. Just that they can take and control the motorcyle further than others. The problem comes when someone does have the aptatude but doesn't have the control to not push too far. I will probably never ride like a complete civil square, but I do try and keep a level head on my shoulders, as I don't want to be the dum**** that goes down. Would rather be the level headed on to live to talk about it.

Old 01-17-2006 | 03:52 AM

yody i thought you were half smart and half squid so I was just really joking with ya anyway but I am glad to see that you also have grown wiser hopefully chromie heeds everyones advice. the guys here are great I'm a newb and I would expect them to jump in if they think anything was stupid and I would be smart to at least listen...

Old 01-17-2006 | 04:04 AM

stand ups are easier, right foot covering the rear brake...the other on the passenger peg.....then clutch it up. Its easier to play play with in the air....

Old 01-17-2006 | 05:47 AM

I dont drink myself but here is a tip i've seen guys do and it sometimes turns out well and other times not so well.
1. Purchase a six pack of brewskies from the quickie mart.

2. Drink the contents as fast as you want your wheelie to be going.

3. Dont bother with the helmet, it takes to much time to get it on.

4. Crank her up, rev engine to 9000 rpms and quickly release the clutch while pulling back as hard and fierce as possible.

5. You should be pleased with your results.
[sm=alcoholic.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=icon_guiness.gif] [sm=partyparty.gif]

Quick Reply: wheelies