F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What's wrong with salvaged title ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with salvaged title ?????

hi,
My name is leon. i've been reading a lot in here for the past 2 months or so...a lot of first hand experiences by people on various bikes which was very enlighting..... i just had a doubt regarding one of the ads i read on craigslist.com the person was offering a 2003 600rr for $3000 with no mechanical problems but a few scratches here and there... but the title was salvaged....
why are people selling it for so cheap? Is it because of insurance or reliability or something else...
Would you buy a bike with a salvaged title... pros and cons

i do not own any motorcycle nor do i have any significant experience on one.... but i am planning to own one in about 3 to 4 months.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Default RE: What's wrong with salvaged title ?????

a salvaged title is a bike that has had more damage to it, than it was worth fixing, but they went ahead and fixed it anyway...and the title will be stamped salvaged, so it will make it very hard to sell....any other questions, just let me know

Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man... I bought my '02 F4i from a guy who didn't really maintain it for $3K. It had a "Rebuilt" title and so far, the bike runs like a dream. No hiccups or complaints at all, just passed 25K on the odo. today! As far as "salvaged" goes, I'd check for flood history or something. There's alot of rip-offs being made with vehicles that Hurricane Katrina damaged. I know someone who was about screwed over b/c of those scams... just be careful and go with your instinct.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: NC CBR1K

a salvaged title is a bike that has had more damage to it, than it was worth fixing, but they went ahead and fixed it anyway...and the title will be stamped salvaged, so it will make it very hard to sell....any other questions, just let me know
Is it different for bikes? I was pretty sure for a car, if it has a salvaged title that just means you can't get it registerd, unless you fix it and have it inspected by the state patrol or whatever, then you can get a clear title on it and register it. Maybe I'm wrong about that though?[&:]

Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Im a manager at a car dealership when a customer trades in a car or truck we give them half of blue book value. On a bike the frame can be bent , or ? You get what you pay for. Don't buy Junk.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Retired Moderator

It is really up to you. My last car was a salvage title. It was a '93 Celica with 88,000 miles on it. I got it for $1500. I did buy it from a friend who bought it from the original owner. It had been in a flood, but ran PERFECTLY. Because of the salvage title, it had to be sold for cheap. I am pretty sure that is an exception. The bike you get may have flipped end over end, and as someone mentioned, have a bent frame or something that will give you nothing but heartache. Hard to say.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:59 PM

If it's your first bike I would say dont buy salvaged. It's not worth the doubt that lingers later, whether you're getting the full performance and whether the bike is safe.
Salvage/Rebuilt title stuff comes up usually in the context of what the insurance companies will pay etc. e.g Rebuilt usually means some guy bought the bike back from the insurance company after they totaled it, and repaired it. Salvaged is a little greyer area.
Salvaged/Rebuilt bikes might be best for people who know bikes through experience/work.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

also depending on the state you can't register the bike for riding on the street with a salvage title unless you get a authorized mechanic to give it the ok and then take it up to the DPS and have them change it from salvage to ... i forget the term but it's somthing like rebuilt salvage but that gives it the ok to get tag's and inspection

Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Thanks a lot guyz.... wow...i guess i got a little greedy... i rather put in some more money and buy a decent one...Thank you again for the opinions...[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

also depending on the state you can't register the bike for riding on the street with a salvage title unless you get a authorized mechanic to give it the ok and then take it up to the DPS and have them change it from salvage to ... i forget the term but it's somthing like rebuilt salvage but that gives it the ok to get tag's and inspection
Yeah... That's what my bike had done to it. It has a certifacation sticker on the frame stating that a certified mechaninc gave it an OK for street use. It says if the sticker is removed the bike is void. Void of what? I guess it wouldn't be road legal or something.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with salvaged title ?????