F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

what tire pressure do you ride at?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not about a plush or comfy ride.....the message is that having tire set at their maximum pressure is not ideal for grip and control...two factors I rate very highly, its quite a simple concept to grasp....tires set to Max pressure will have minimum contact patch with the asphalt and not warm up.... all contributing for less than ideal handling.

its like blowing up balloons to just before they pop...they have little give in them.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Sorry, sorry. I get a little worked up sometimes because I see all types of ridiculous **** when I check other peoples' air pressure.

I'm just saying that around 35/38 would probably be a good place to start and adjust for ambient/added weight (you don't have to do it all the time but if it's a big change then yes, you should). Lots of people run 36/42 (lots of owners manuals state this) which in general is going to give you the most life but from personal experience it's a bit overkill. I think it's recommended so your air pressure is correct for the most extreme scenario (really hot out/heavy bike/loaded up/2 heavy people).

As was stated before, it still depends on a lot of things especially your tire...as you can see Avon also carries a really stiff sport touring tire that requires more pressure. Most sport touring, sport and even hypersport tires require about the same PSI for the STREET.

So my not even close to professional opinion is 30-38 depending on temperature, load, and grip vs longevity (preference).

Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by madman
So my not even close to professional opinion is 30-38 depending on temperature, load, and grip vs longevity (preference).
Or we could all stop making guesses with no type of formal education on the matter and just put the tires to the pressures listed on the dam bike from the factory. This isen't rocket science.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:06 PM

on my f4i on the track with pilot power 2ct im 28 front and 30 back... and on the streed with my zx10r with pirelli rosso corsa im 30 front and 34 back...

Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

I tend to run 36/42 just because that's what I've seen mentioned for tire longevity.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

I retract my op to this thread. For some weird reason after reading this thread I noticed that 2 or 3 times today my rear tire slid a little while I was doing "quicker" downshifts before going into turns, and I felt like I could feel every single bump in the road.

Idk what pressure to, but I will be airing down my tires from what the manual says from now on for a bit better ride (and widen my center wear bar since I've just been dding the bike lately).

Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback Nickell, keep us posted on what you settle at and what the difference you have experienced....... there is no one correct answer but I think this thread has highlighted the importance of knowing your tire pressure & checking it often it has a huge impact on handling, mileage and tire longevity..

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Im running 32/32 today. I only went a few miles on side road surfaces. Front end still feels hard.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ThaBrock
Im running 32/32 today. I only went a few miles on side road surfaces. Front end still feels hard.
if your front end feels hard adjust your suspension, not your tires. you don't want underinflated tires. they're dangerous.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

i run 36/42 as the factory recomends, cuz they've done more testing then i'll ever do.

Quick Reply: what tire pressure do you ride at?