F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What it is to be a squid

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna abstain from feeding into the Harley = Squid statement. Though there are the occasional HD riders who prove themselves to be excellent squid candidates, by some of their raucous behavior.

Being a squid can't simply just not be wearing inadequate gear from what I can tell. Would you consider this guy a squid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrk_xvOxrw

Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
Exactly how many of these creatures do you have lurking around in your neighborhood?
I can think of at least one...maybe two off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
But back towards the topic, its not about riding gearless. There are plenty of squids in full gear too. It's about someone who rides in a stupid or dangerous fashion.
Precisely. Squids are just more likely to ride gearless.

The four-wheeled offroad equivalent is known as a quadtard. They are often spotted around civilization spinning donuts near your camp while clad in flip-flops and shorts. In the bush they can be seen going the wrong way down motorcycle-only trails.

Would you consider this guy a squid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrk_xvOxrw
Yes I would.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So pretty much you're saying to be a squid on a Harley, these are the items that must be complied with:

Motorcycle Endorsement...................CHECK
Harley Davidson Fatboy ....................CHECK
No Helmet or Protective Gear.............CHECK
Squid by Default..............................CHECK
A lot of riders around here don't even have the motorcycle endorsement . . . until now, you could ride on a learner's permit that just required a written, multiple choice exam. The only restrictions were that you couldn't ride a night, couldn't carry a passenger, and had to stay within 100km of either your home address, or the address of the bike's owner if you rode someone else's bike. So many, many riders here haven't gone beyond that. I single out Harley riders a bit just because as a group they tend to be a bit older and more numerous around here. Many of them got their learner's permit a long, long time ago and never planned to upgrade.

That all changes next year with a multi-step graduated licensing program with compulsory safety course. The minimum time from learner's to full license will be 3 years, and any infraction will knock you back to the previous level.

Our neighbour is a prime example of a Harley squid . . . middle aged, fat, rides a big old bagger with an open face helmet perched on top of his head, t shirt, runners. Like a lot of that kind of Harley rider, he specializes in blipping the throttle to get peoples' attention, lurching forward and almost losing control

But don't get me wrong, of course a squid is a squid no matter what they're riding or wearing, and the worst facepalmworthy behaviour I've seen has been courtesy of sportbike riders, no question.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM

squid.... yes.
the guy with the repsol got so lucky.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motorcycle Endorsement...................CHECK
Harley Davidson Fatboy ....................CHECK
No Helmet or Protective Gear.............CHECK
Squid by Default..............................CHECK
Yep, I was gonna comment on this, too. A moto endorsement is certainly not required to be a squid. In fact, I think having a license is frowned upon in the squid community. (although many squids will lie and say they have them..... saw it last week)

I think some squids don't even need to have a bike to be a squid. I had a guy at a gas station tell me the other day that I could never keep up with him on his gixxer. Thing is.... he's never even ridden a bike!!
I'm sure he's played this whole race scenario out in his head many times, tho, so there's no doubt that he's super awesome.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yep, I was gonna comment on this, too. A moto endorsement is certainly not required to be a squid. In fact, I think having a license is frowned upon in the squid community. (although many squids will lie and say they have them..... saw it last week)

I think some squids don't even need to have a bike to be a squid. I had a guy at a gas station tell me the other day that I could never keep up with him on his gixxer. Thing is.... he's never even ridden a bike!!
I'm sure he's played this whole race scenario out in his head many times, tho, so there's no doubt that he's super awesome.

I had a guy in heis car at a gas station tell me that my 1000 cound not keep up with his 1800 GSXR and he has done 214mph on it.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
I had a guy in heis car at a gas station tell me that my 1000 cound not keep up with his 1800 GSXR and he has done 214mph on it.
Wow.. the virtually unknown and seldom seem 1800 GSXR..... You don't have a chance! They are so fast they will actually pull all safety gear off at speeds as low as 3 mph...

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Would you consider this guy a squid?
I would consider the person who uploaded it a squid too. Because he wasn't "on" the motorcycle. But I'm just knit picking.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
rocketsauce035 thought it was so good he posted it twice
Haha sorry, I was posting from my Driod.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM

The guy with the repsol was like wtf?!?!?! i can think of like 4 or 5 around my part but besides that I'm in Maine so when people see me with a helmet I get some looks...

(no lie I had a guy ask me what all my "gay" gear was for.. he was a HD rider.)

Quick Reply: What it is to be a squid