Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what do ya think?

F4i is a good beginner bike.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

F4i is a great starter bike. It does great down low in the rpm so when he is learning to start bogging won't be such an issue. They are very tough bikes too so it should survive his lay down we all know is coming. Make sure he wears gear! Tell him to stay out of the throttle and no full in 1st in any way shape or form for a while.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM

thanks for all the input guys i think i'm gonna let him give it a try and the if i see him acting dumb on it.. hit him really hard in the face with my fist then take my bike back.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 PM

The only problem I`m having with this Bike is that it wants to go fast

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM

little trigger happy are we John?
thaks alot guys i dont feel to bad about lettin him learn on the f4I now haha

Old 10-22-2008, 12:12 PM

I think it comes down to more than just "can he be responsible". There are some situations you face on the road, that even if you're of a responsible mentality, can cause trouble for you.

Take for instance, making a right hand turn onto a two-lane road where traffic is moving at 50-60mph. starting from a standstill, turning, working the clutch, and getting yourself up to traffic speed can cause a little nervousness even for experienced riders.

My thought is, practice a lot in a parking lot. stop and go. work the clutch. do slow speed circles to get a feel for how the bike handles at city street speeds. once he has upped his street technical skills, he'll feel more comfortable riding on roads with actual traffic.

alongthe lines of the F4i not having too much power for a beginner... yes, this is true...when the bike is in gear. But think again of the example I gave above. it's real easy when trying to get started from a standstill to rev her up and pop the clutch a little too fast... and then you're done. (if you're a newb)

the blonde weasel

Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Good advice bindweasel I still need to take it too a parking lot because I sux at low speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N5GqJqw4Rg

Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 PM

whoa! that dude did the popsicle on a friggin HARLEY! That's insane.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 PM

the best slow speed experience I gained was from practicing doing figure eights around planters and or light poles in a parking lot. Keep your eyes on the center of rotation, and try to make your circles smaller and smaller. fun stuff. watch out for paint and oil spots in parking spaces.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 PM

At 22 yo responsibility and value can still be a difficult concept for some people to grasp, if he wants your bike it needs to be valuable and respected by him, therefore he should buy it from you and be responsible for all costs pertaining to the bike, also go through a extensive look over of the bike of all current and req'd maintenance, if it needs tires or brakes (have him replace them.) if he cannot buy the bike from you out right get a hefty down payment so he feels the sacrifice to own a bike. All these lessons will help him understand and respect the bike and his safety while riding. I recently went thru this same circumstance with my brother in law who bought a YZF600 after working for me for the summer to buy it. at the end of the summer he had a title and a safe good bike. (also his experience of riding with me at his side was very valuable)best of luck, but the guilt associated with "handing the keys" to an under-trained individual and the possible reprecussons can be alot to stomach.