F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do ya think?

hey guys,

i current just bought a new bike and am thinking about letting my little brother take my old one to learn on .. (by little brother i mean 22yr old.) he did pass the safe course but doesn't have much experience on bikes at all.. do you think my old 2001 f4i would be too much for him?? maybe should i get it detuned a bit>> or do you think he will be ok on it if i explain dont be an idiot and respect the throttle??
thanks dudes

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned
Default RE: what do ya think?

My opinion is that it is too much, but if you ride with him for a a while (couple of hundred miles)he'll be OK. Just remember to ride alot slower than you think you should and never to the point where he is riding over his abilities. What you really just want him to avoid are the initial newbie kinda panic mistakes, after that if he respects the bike and keeps his head in the game he'll be OK. If he is a maniac then forget I said anything.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Good question. The best thing you can do is ask yourself: Is your brother responsible enough to have a bike this fast? Could you live with yourself if he got hurt (or worse) while riding in an irresponsible manner? Irresponsibility has claimed the life of many riders.

My parents never bought me a bike because they wouldn't be able to live with themselves if i ended up killing myself on it. I was upset about it, but I understood.

Personally man, I wouldn't do it. I'd have him save his money and get one on his own, in a responsible manner. That way, if he hurts himself, at least you'll have the comfort of knowing that you didn't contrubite to the accident. Also, You tend to be less stupid with things that you buy with your own money. Could make a difference...

Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM

at last he has somebody to learn from...IMO..lol

Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 PM

You know him better than anyone else. If you think he is able to ride with cation and not squid around he will be fine. I started on a f4i but being on a bike you paid for (or are still paying for) I think will make him more responsible while riding.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM

I just bought my first bike (2005 F4i) and I love it. First time riding a street bike. I took the MSF and got my license about 5 years ago and this is the first time back on a bike other then the Honda Rebel 250 that I tested on.

My thing is - I'm 35 with a beautiful Wife and Precious 3 1/2 year old princess and I RESPECT my Bike.

I don't need to prove anything and have more to loose if I do something crazy.

I've had the bike for 2 weeks now and only drive it around the neighbor hood a few time - why:

1) Still learning the bike - getting use to the throttle and clutch - which wasn't hard to do.

2) Only have my Shoei RF-1000 helmet - Still waiting on my Icon Accelerant Perforated Leather Jacket, Joe Rocket SuperMoto Gloves, Icon Super Duty 2 Pants, and Icon Super Duty 2 Boots.

3) I've been practicing counter-steering and stoping on an incline and a few other challenges that my come up. I'm not taking it out on the street and proving to everyone what a Squid I am.

Blah - Blah - Blah..... I guess what I'm trying to say is - is your little brother going to have the urge to show off to his friends or take your advise and learn the correct way.

By no means is a F4i too much of a bike for me - as long as you respect it and know your limits - heck - I haven't even been to 4th gear yet - LOL.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM

I dont thinka 600is too much. I am 22 and my f4i is my first bike. I know all too well how easy it is to die while riding so every time I ride I have respect for the bike, road, and other drivers. Some people think they are invinsible to a certain degree but that way of thinking will get you killed.Learning that you are not invinsible and you could get hurt or killed on a bikecomes with age and maturity. Some peoplelearn quicker than others. For some it will have been too late.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM

my first bike was/is 02 600 f4i

as long as he knows his skill level he'll be fine

Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM

anyone think he will havea problem with the throttle if he truly does respects the power and takes it slow.?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Should not be a problem. The throttle is not twitchy unless your up in the 7000+ rpm. You should just make sure he is taking it slow.