F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

went down, broken gear shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went down, broken gear shift lever

i just went down about a half our ago in the parking lot at my office of all places. some guy didn't see me when i was pulling in.
i was only going ~15mph so the damage isn't too bad. i scraped up the left side a bit but i also broke my gear shift lever. i don't own a truck or anything so i'm not sure how i'm going to get it home. the lever sheared off right at the rubber pad on the lever. i guess the only thing to do is buy a new one? ebay?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You answered your own questions. To get it home, try to remove the rest of the "peg" from the lever, should just unscrew, then screw in a bolt with a jam nut on it so you can ride it home.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM

i slapped some jb quick weld on there as a temp fix. the instructions say it cures in 4 hours, so it should be set by the end of my work day. i'm going to test it out before i take off though. i'm not sure if i trust it.
i guess it worse comes to worse, i can just stay in first all the way home. it is about a 10 mile trip.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for you misfortune. Not sure I understand where exactly it broke but if the hole is still there for the shift prong itself, you can run a bolt (w/ your pad on it) thru the lever from the front & tighten on the shifter w/ two nuts (one on front of shifter & one on back). I did this w/ my wife's bike after it feel over, & it works great...& been holding for thousands of miles. In fact, unless you know it doesn't belong, you won't know.

If its broken off behind that hole, for a temp fix you can do a version of the above...by drilling a hole & doing the same technique as above. I've seen this done basically in the middle of nowhere w/ a dremel drill, nut & bolt. In fact, I still carry a bolt & nut just like I did on my wife's bike, just in case I'm out somewhere & have the same happen.

Good luck.

Last edited by gotcbr; 05-22-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fun
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM

great minds think alike. i just got done doing exactly what you guys suggested. i walked down the street to an auto parts store. i bought a drill bit, a couple washers and nuts, and a 6mm bolt. i told the guy at the counter what i did and he even let me borrow his drill and a wrench.
after i got the nuts tight, i slapped a bunch of that jb weld on it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. i was even able to slide the rubber grip back on. unless you look for it, you'd never know.

now i need a quick fix for my hip

Old 05-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Thats good man at least you fixed it. Its a funny thing that your accident was the same like mine's, It happened at work. The only thing that broke was my rear brake lever. I think I got more hurt than my bike, LOL.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klink
now i need a quick fix for my hip
beer.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. You may find that its stronger than the orig. Dug up a pic of wifey's shifter w/ my repair. Its solid & works great.

Happy shifting!

Name:  DCP_0219.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  64.9 KB

Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 AM

The way i do everything.... if it fails or breaks its just an excuse to upgrade! Go vortex or gilles for some new rear sets.

Quick Reply: went down, broken gear shift lever