CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   went down, broken gear shift lever (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/went-down-broken-gear-shift-lever-94029/)

Klink 05-22-2009 08:37 AM

went down, broken gear shift lever

i just went down about a half our ago in the parking lot at my office of all places. some guy didn't see me when i was pulling in.
i was only going ~15mph so the damage isn't too bad. i scraped up the left side a bit but i also broke my gear shift lever. i don't own a truck or anything so i'm not sure how i'm going to get it home. the lever sheared off right at the rubber pad on the lever. i guess the only thing to do is buy a new one? ebay?

skoobydoobie 05-22-2009 09:17 AM

You answered your own questions. To get it home, try to remove the rest of the "peg" from the lever, should just unscrew, then screw in a bolt with a jam nut on it so you can ride it home.

Klink 05-22-2009 09:21 AM

i slapped some jb quick weld on there as a temp fix. the instructions say it cures in 4 hours, so it should be set by the end of my work day. i'm going to test it out before i take off though. i'm not sure if i trust it.
i guess it worse comes to worse, i can just stay in first all the way home. it is about a 10 mile trip.

gotcbr 05-22-2009 12:12 PM

Sorry for you misfortune. Not sure I understand where exactly it broke but if the hole is still there for the shift prong itself, you can run a bolt (w/ your pad on it) thru the lever from the front & tighten on the shifter w/ two nuts (one on front of shifter & one on back). I did this w/ my wife's bike after it feel over, & it works great...& been holding for thousands of miles. :D In fact, unless you know it doesn't belong, you won't know.

If its broken off behind that hole, for a temp fix you can do a version of the above...by drilling a hole & doing the same technique as above. I've seen this done basically in the middle of nowhere w/ a dremel drill, nut & bolt. In fact, I still carry a bolt & nut just like I did on my wife's bike, just in case I'm out somewhere & have the same happen.

Good luck.

Beefcake 05-22-2009 12:23 PM

Dont buy a new one you can repair it for like 3 buck. Go to homdepot buy a bolt, rubber tubeing the the bolt can fit inside and two nuts that fit the bolt. go home drill a hole for the bolt to go thru on the remaining ****ft lever, cut tube to length of the bolt but leave romve for ethe nuts. put the bolt thru the hole your drilled and insall the nuts. Also to go home just use ur hand to put it in 2nd and ride it home that way.

Klink 05-22-2009 01:53 PM

great minds think alike. i just got done doing exactly what you guys suggested. i walked down the street to an auto parts store. i bought a drill bit, a couple washers and nuts, and a 6mm bolt. i told the guy at the counter what i did and he even let me borrow his drill and a wrench.
after i got the nuts tight, i slapped a bunch of that jb weld on it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. i was even able to slide the rubber grip back on. unless you look for it, you'd never know.

now i need a quick fix for my hip :)

eljrc16 05-22-2009 02:02 PM

Thats good man at least you fixed it. Its a funny thing that your accident was the same like mine's, It happened at work. The only thing that broke was my rear brake lever. I think I got more hurt than my bike, LOL.

skoobydoobie 05-22-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by klink (Post 788040)
now i need a quick fix for my hip :)

beer.

gotcbr 05-23-2009 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad it worked out for you. You may find that its stronger than the orig. Dug up a pic of wifey's shifter w/ my repair. Its solid & works great.

Happy shifting! ;)

Attachment 62992

f4irider84 05-24-2009 11:16 AM

The way i do everything.... if it fails or breaks its just an excuse to upgrade! Go vortex or gilles for some new rear sets.

playb0i 05-24-2009 09:41 PM

nicely done..