F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

went down

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went down

well i just got home about 20 minutes ago from going down. i was leaving my parents house from a nice sunday afternoon on my way to my appartment. when i left, i went the way i usually do, and i have to make one of those under the overpass U turns. well the stupid *** city has been doing some construction on that intersection lately and there is a bunch of loose gravel around that bend. my girlfriend was following me through the U turn, when at the end of the turn, i hit some loose gravel at about 20 mph and it shot my back tire out from under me. the girlfriend stopped and helped me pick up the bike which was about 5 feet away in the middle of the street. the damage was pretty minimal and i made it out ok. i fell on my cell phone which was in my left pocket that left me a good bruise. i was wearing full gear except for my jeans which got ripped. the left mirror broke off, the crank case cover got scratched, the upper fairing is a little scratched along with the rear fairing, and the frame slider on the left is pretty much gone. i will post picks as soon as i can. couple of questions for you all. do you think i should call the city tomorrow about the lose gravel? or do you think they will just ignore it? and does anyone have a set of mirrors they want to sell cheap? lol. thanks and every one ride safe, its a dangerous world out there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4129/87B8FB30A06647BE98C72D8766B2CDF8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: went down

that sucks man. at least there wasnt any more damage than that though. i would call and see even though you will probably just get the run around it might prove to be worth it. i know a guy that had the same situation and he was going to file a law suit because there wasnt any sighs up warning about the gravel. ill try to get ahold of him and get back with you about his results.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 AM

glad another rider is ok...always watch the road in front of ya, oh wait, didnt my msf instructor say keep your head up?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 AM

glad you're ok and the bike didnt get too roughed up! Def. call that in, even though they prob wont do anything
________
VAPORIZER SOLDERING

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 AM

gravle ftl! almost saw my friend go down because he hit a patch of dirt from when they sanded over the bridges...

Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flashpoint

...i hit some loose gravel at about 20 mph and it shot my back tire out from under me....i will post picks as soon as i can. couple of questions for you all. do you think i should call the city tomorrow about the lose gravel? or do you think they will just ignore it?
i've heard of a few people getting awarded claims when road construction was done improperly or without proper signage but if it was just loose gravel i doubt you'll get anywhere ... unless you just want them to fix it. but you should get pics of the area in question a.s.a.p. before it's fixed if you didn't do so already with your cell phone at the time of the incident.

good luck bro

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 AM

Glad to hear another walked away. Public roads of any kind are supposed to be safe for ALL vehicles. Sounds like the boner road crew did a bang up job of cleaning up their mess. I'd call them and bitch. You also have a witness - your GF.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM

wow riders going down all over the place....even i had a close call yesterday. Still snow on the ground but none on the streets. bringing it out of the yard and my foot slipped on some ice that i thought was slush. Luckily kept it up though.

Id definatly go complain to the city, your tax dollars are there for them to maintain those roads and keep them free of gravel and debris. Its like homeowners. If somebody falls in your house, you have to pay their medical bills. Same goes with the road. We slip on their streets, tey pay to fix our bike.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yo...sorry you went down but don't pass the buck elsewhere...

i need to tell it as it is...and it may sound harsh, but it was your fault that you went down...
the gravel was there and didn't jump out at you. it was a construction area...so you need to be alert in areas like that.
u-turns should not be busted at 20 MPH...and should not be done in a lean whatsoever...but either upright or leaning the other direction to get the bike around.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM

the thing that matters here, is that they have been doing construction there, but there is no warning signs of loose grave at all. and as for taking the turn at 20 mph, i was accelerating out from the turn to merge with traffic. regardless of that, you are right, the gravel didnt jump out in front of me, but it sure did make me fall, with out warning me first. had there been warning signs posted, i would have not worried, and taken my time, but there were none. so, i still say, its their fault 1. for not cleaning their mess and 2. for not posting warning signs for loose gravel.
ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

yo...sorry you went down but don't pass the buck elsewhere...

i need to tell it as it is...and it may sound harsh, but it was your fault that you went down...
the gravel was there and didn't jump out at you. it was a construction area...so you need to be alert in areas like that.
u-turns should not be busted at 20 MPH...and should not be done in a lean whatsoever...but either upright or leaning the other direction to get the bike around.