F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Wax unit nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax unit nut

Does anyone know how far on the wax unit must the nut be? The one with the white paint!

Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "White" nut is factory set, are you replacing the wax unit

Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM

No not changing. Had a throttle body issue so bought another one that seemed stock and came with everything but seems to me like the PO messed with the wax unit to prevent it from warming up on a cold start because when I installed the new TB the wax unit never worked and also cold started at 1000rpm until warm then went to 1300rpm. I noticed when I got the new TB the white paint was on the wax unit nut but also noticed the wax unit never moved either hot or cold. Just wanted to know what stock settings for the nut is.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Muga
No not changing. Had a throttle body issue so bought another one that seemed stock and came with everything but seems to me like the PO messed with the wax unit to prevent it from warming up on a cold start because when I installed the new TB the wax unit never worked and also cold started at 1000rpm until warm then went to 1300rpm. I noticed when I got the new TB the white paint was on the wax unit nut but also noticed the wax unit never moved either hot or cold. Just wanted to know what stock settings for the nut is.
Over time , with these Wax Units I've noticed they get a lot of blame for not working right,and a lot of the problem has been crud in the water pipes feeding the wax unit , might be worth taking a look at that first , you would have changed coolant if you changed the throttle body ,but did you clean the pipes, the increase in rpm points to that

Old 05-30-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Over time , with these Wax Units I've noticed they get a lot of blame for not working right,and a lot of the problem has been crud in the water pipes feeding the wax unit , might be worth taking a look at that first , you would have changed coolant if you changed the throttle body ,but did you clean the pipes, the increase in rpm points to that
When I changed the TB with the new wax unit I also changed all the hoses from radiator to thermostat housing. I also changed thermostat itself so everything was changed. Fresh 50/50 coolant added. It fast idles now after adjusting the nut. I'm going to try and take a Pic of how the nut was set before I adjusted it and please tell me if I am wrong.
That's how it looked when I got the new throttle bodies. Notice how the air flow ports are closed when cold? Are they suppose to be open and then closes when warm?

Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Then this is how it looks after adjusting the nut when cold.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yes when cold the wax unit piston is all the way in as it warms up it pushes out and closes the valve openings
Have a look at Kal in Oz

Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Just to add , depending on the ambient air temperature the wax unit can still be working ie on a warm day , so if its cold now where you live , would be the ideal time to set that top nut and then use some thread lock to maintain that position

Old 05-31-2019, 07:21 AM

OK so it's as I thought and the PO adjusted the nut so it wouldn't has idle. I got it idling now after the adjustment. Thanks. I notice though that the idle doesn't start at 2k but slow rises to it.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Muga
OK so it's as I thought and the PO adjusted the nut so it wouldn't has idle. I got it idling now after the adjustment. Thanks. I notice though that the idle doesn't start at 2k but slow rises to it.
Maybe take some time to get it perfect, could of been better on a really cold day when the wax unit is at it's most contracted and then adjust , but at least you fathomed out the operation, did you synchronise them to get a good idle

Quick Reply: Wax unit nut