F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Vortex rearsets brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex rearsets brake question

I just installed my vortex rearsets... Question is, I got on the bike and tried to hit the rear brake. It stops, but then it wont release. Like theres no spring or anything to release the pedal. So right now my rear wheel is locked unless I pull up on the pedal with my hand.

Is there something im doing wrong? I know the stock assembly has a spring on it but the vortex doesnt. Am I missing something here?

I feel like Im about to have a /facepalm moment whenever I figure it out lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM

I haven't ever used Vortex rearsets, but I've done a couple of Woodcraft installs, and I know for those you have to carry over a couple of the stock components, like the spring. Did you forget to attach the stock spring to the new rearsets?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

no i didnt use the spring. I dont see anywhere on the vortex to use the springs. Hmm this is making me feel stupid lol

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM

wait are there supposed to be spacers on the main bolts on the rearsets?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM

ok the problem is that the bracket that attaches the pedal to the master cylinder is touching the screw that is holding the brake line onto the swing arm. When tighting my rearsets down it is touching and preventing the pedal from moving... hence why Im wondering if im missing spacers or something

Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 PM

fixed it lol...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by skameigh
fixed it lol...
So, what was it?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Well I bought my f4i wrecked and rebuilt it. I never noticed any frame damage tho. The rearsets that were on it originally were bent inward to the point I was irritated and replaced with all new honda parts. New OEM parts fit great. Once I installed the Vortex ones and tightened down, I realized that my frame (at least where the pegs are) seems to be slightly bent. (Or my vortex are bent). The bracket on the back of the brake pedal was touching the screw that held the bracket for the brake line. So after getting frustrated, I just took a dremel and shaved the bolt down to where it wasnt rubbing. Works for now, Just hope I dont need to remove that brake line anytime soon as a socket wont fit it now LOLOL

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by skameigh
ok the problem is that the bracket that attaches the pedal to the master cylinder is touching the screw that is holding the brake line onto the swing arm. When tighting my rearsets down it is touching and preventing the pedal from moving... hence why Im wondering if im missing spacers or something
Well, that explains why I'm missing that forward bracket that holds my brake line I guess the guy that installed them on my bike ran into the same problem...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Haha then maybe My frame is straight and Im not crazy afterall. I literally spent all day messing with it till I ground the bolt down. I didnt like the look of the bracket missing completely

Quick Reply: Vortex rearsets brake question