F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Vibration reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration reduction

At certain rev ranges, primarily the ones I'm using on the freeway, I get a kind of hand numbing vibration. I've heard of vibration reduction bar ends, do they work? Anybody have any experience with brands/ installation etc.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you or the PO has swapped the bar ends out, stock bar ends do fine to reduce vibration. RPM shouldn't affect the vibration, its all in the speed and harmonic resonance of the bike.

Try loosening up your grip

Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I felt that way when I first started riding too. Ride long enough and it doesn't even faze you anymore. I haven't had a numb hand in years and I've been f4i the entire time.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I've been riding since I was 16. I'm 30 now I don't think it's my grip, maybe something I just have to get used to..

It didn't look like there were any bar ends on the bike i.e. the grips were on and still had their rubber ends in tact. A friend of mine just got some nice Rizoma bar ends and gave me his stock 600rr ones. I sliced the end off the grip this morning to install and lo and behold there is something in the bar, not really sure how to deal with it. I'll post a picture or two to clarify what I'm talking about -

So I don't know if this these things need to stay in or come out etc.. The last bar ends I had were the expanding type. The ones my friend gave me look like they seat in to something already in the bar, maybe this doohickey is it? Seems kind of far out though. I tried installing one bar end anyway and I got the long screw in maybe 3/4's of the way and met with a lot of resistance so I backed off and decided to consult you guys on the board.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original end that fits to that notch looks something like this:

Found that on eBay and those are some flashy aftermarket ones but the originals have that same shape that pairs up with the part inside your handle.

Here`s a list for you to peruse, some seem to go for coffee money...

Last edited by Mattson; 07-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No bar ends at all? Yeah thats different. Get some stockers and you'll be fine. The things in the grips are what the bolt threads into.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson
The original end that fits to that notch looks something like this:

Found that on eBay and those are some flashy aftermarket ones but the originals have that same shape that pairs up with the part inside your handle.

Here`s a list for you to peruse, some seem to go for coffee money...
Thanks for the recommendation! Good to know it's not some rigged up thing.

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
No bar ends at all? Yeah thats different. Get some stockers and you'll be fine. The things in the grips are what the bolt threads into.
Right? Who takes the bar ends off? In my years of owning used motorcycles I've come to expect some weird **** from PO's so I guess it's cool.

Does anybody know if the stock ones off an 07 600rr will fit my 03 F4i?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Well, most of them are advertised as
Honda CBR600 F1/F2/F3/F4/F4i RR 900RR 929RR 954RR RC51 VTR Black BAR ENDS
and at least on my F2, the insides of the original bars look exactly the same I`d assume all Honda road bikes have more or less the same kind bar ends, so my guess would be yes, just make sure they have that notch thing to lock onto the bar part.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Hi MattSD!

What you see inside the handle bar there is actually the weight that does the vibration damping. The bar ends themselves help too, but I believe are really more to help the weight inside do it's job correctly.

I'm not sure what policy is here for linking to another forum, but I'll try it here becuase there is a good diagram that shows everything you need to know in this thread over on the 1000rr.net forum. I figure helpful is helpful... and this way I'm not stealing that guys diagram!

Click this to see that thread.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM

jmeekman: Can you tell me how to get the darned thing OUT of the bar, I would like to transfer the original (far better) weights to my woodcraft clipons (given if they fit in the tubes) instead of some crappy Dice universal ones but can`t get them to budge!

Quick Reply: Vibration reduction