F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Venting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venting

I really appreciate you guys helping me out on this one. My dad and I are really close, so I really don't want to risk causing any problems over this. I just REALLY want to ride. I actually have sat down with him and had a lot of serious talks with him. He will always listen to what I have to say, but the answer is always the same, no. But, it seems like he is beginning to realize how much this means to me, and how much I'm approaching the situation like an adult, because I told him that I was going to get my license this summer through the MSF course. His response was, "What's the point? You know you aren't getting a motorcycle any time soon." But I said it was something I really want to do. And he said, "I can't really argue with that." So he is coming around a little bit, and I'm going to try and get my endorsement this summer. But, I don't know, I just wish he would be more accepting to the idea of me getting a motorcycle.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 AM

in that case, take the MSF, and go buy one.. your 18 there isnt much he can do... unless you think he is extreme enough to kick you out over the ordeal, otherwise he cant stay mad for long

Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 AM

My parents were exactly the same way. I was watchin Motopg one day last summer and my mom walked in and said, "If some day you get a bike and something seriously happens to you, I will never forgive you." Three months later my mom loaned me the extra money to buy an '01 f4i. I took the MSF course when I was 17 (now 20) and had ridden friends bikes since. Scoring really well on the (really easy) test helped along with researching for the bike. The deal I found was one I couldn't pass up and lucky for me, the guy I bought it off of was a 25 yr old Mechanical Engineer who was really candid with talking to my mom about sport bikes - who also threw in a a leather jacket and helmet with the price. I'm a sophomore in college studying ME so basically everything fell into line for me. Granted I waited almost 3 years of constantly looking for a bike before I got one, take the course and see what happens. I just showed a great deal of maturity.

Finally, are you looking to go to college? I pay for all of tuition and housing etc so my parents didn't feel so bad lending me some money. If you are looking to go to college and have your parents pay for everything than I don't see why they would be ok with you buying a bike. IMO

If you truely love it, then have some talks and introduce them to the world of motorcycling. Go to some shops and look at bikes or go to an AMA race. Show them you are serious about riding and doing it responsibily. You could just say f**k them and do what you want but having my parents feed my motorcycling addiction is def better than pissing them off.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 AM

I'm 18 as well, and it took my parents a LOT of convincing before they let me buy my bike. Even though I pay for everything on my own, they still needed to support my choice because things wouldn't fly if they didn.t

In the end though, just give them time eventually they'll crack I guess :P The world is full of moron drivers, it's not you who will most likely be at fault, It'll be that moron in the huge dumb lifted truck that is ignorant to everyone else, so just remind them that you'll always be scanning blah blah blah. You get the hang of it.

P.S. Check into insurance costs

Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Jordan23

...The thing is, I go to school in Virginia, so the VTech shooting, shook me up a little bit. It has made me want to really live life, because life is short, and nothing is promised. So from that perspective, it seems like I should get one. ...

I took my MSF class back in November of 2006 and got my license in the same month. I took the class during the winter time so I would be able to get a bike and practice during the spring time so I'll be somewhat prepared for riding in the summer time. But in January I went to the hospital and was messed up really bad. It wasn't motorcycle related, but I was laid up and wasn't looking too good. Lost 2/3s of my blood to internal bleeding. I didn't think my injuries were that serious but after I got out I realized how I was close to dying if I didn't go to the hospital in time! As I laid in the hospital bed I was thinking, if I were to pass right now, would I have been satisfied with my life and what I have done. After I got out I pretty much have a different look on life. I got an f4i in March and pretty much do a lot more crazy stuff in my free time. Doing a lot more outoor activities and pretty much having more fun than I ever did before I went into the hospital. It would suck to not do anything fun in life and just die laying in some hospital bed. I'm not saying it's better to do doing something extreme like skydiving, but ****, everybody dies some day. But I just think of living life!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 AM

I was in the same situation but i was out on my own... parents and the whole family was against it. my cousin and his girlfriend were killed on his ninja a week before he turned 21 and the whole family was against it when he got his... he wasnt safe and it cost him his life. my unlce got killed on his bike when a drunk driver pulled out in front of him.. he played it safe and it cost him his life. so understand where they are coming from. i went against the family and got a 750 gixxer for my first bike. did not know how to even ride so i taught myself in the back yard the first day and went on the street without license or insurance and wrecked it the second day. parents found out and was not pleased at all. i ended up selling it out of pressure from them. the next summer i took a saftey course and learned alot got my license and bought another bike and had insurance and did everything legit. my dad being a rider himself saw that i was mature about it and it wasnt some stupid phase that was gonna get me killed, finally accepted the fact that i was gonna ride either way. my mom still hates it but you will have that. get some gear always wear the gear especially around them and do it right... mention the daftey course idea... it might work

Old 05-22-2007, 04:03 AM

Jordan,

I respect the kind of concerns you have for your relationship with your dad. Be honest with him, take the MSF & prove to him that you're grown up & responsible.

That said, are you a new rider. If so I'd strongly suggest against the f4i. Take it easy on a ninja 250 for a year maybe. Any 600 cc sport bike is a performance machine capable of magnifying even a small mistake into catastrophic results. Being 18 the insurance rates would be outrageous. The plastics are expensive. A 250 being cheap gives you a chance to explore this freedom for minimal costs & lets you hone your skills for the next upgrade. A 250 might even get your dad's approval. If you truly need a 600 try the SV650.

Biking is a lifestyle choice you're making & you wanna be around to enjoy it.

Good Luck
Ashish H.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: motomaniac

Finally, are you looking to go to college? I pay for all of tuition and housing etc so my parents didn't feel so bad lending me some money. If you are looking to go to college and have your parents pay for everything than I don't see why they would be ok with you buying a bike. IMO
I will be a sophomore in college next year, but my parents don't have to worry about tuition or anything because I got a full scholarship for academics. So during high school, I worked my butt off to get good grades, good test scores, and all that stuff but at the same time, it seems like I missed a lot of things during high school. I played varsity basketball, and won state for track, soI'm not a complete nerd, but a lot of my time was spent studyingandplaying sports. So it seems like I missed a lot, and I hate that feeling. I don't want to have any regrets in my life. I keep on saying, life is not promised, I could get hit by a car walking to the mailbox or something. I just want to live life, and do things that will make me happy, and I know thata motorcyclewill keep me happy for as long as I have it.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM

just do what im in the process of doing...im assuming your almost out of high school since you said your 18...just wait til after graduation, find a roommate and get an apartment somewhere and just go to a community college, and hopefully you'll have a decent job so everything will work out...thats my plan at least

Old 05-30-2007, 03:25 AM

It finally happened today. I was talking to my dad about motorcycles, like I do almost everyday. Then I asked him what he would do if I just showed up with a bike in the garage. Then he said, "We might as well get this talk out of the way. I know you are very serious about getting a motorcycle. It's ok if you take the motorcycle safety course, get your license, and everything. I will support you if you in your decision of getting a motorcycle if you promise me to learn everything you can about safety and riding techniques to reduce the risks as much as possible, and be EXTREMELY careful when you are riding." I was so happy when he said this. So now, I plan on taking the MSF this summer and getting my license and begin the process of looking for a good used F4i, insurance, gear, etc.

Quick Reply: Venting