F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Venting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venting

Ok heres the thing I respect you for wanting to listen to your father but your 18 now...your own man so to speak. I'm not saying you know it all by far but there is certian aspects of your life that you are now in control of. Lifes too short not too have fun.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM

at 18 hes probably still on his dads insurance however, so his dad may be liable for any accidents

Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i got lucky... dad was like- "Don't buy one - but on the other hand you shouldn't feel later like you missed something in life"
mom still thinks it's only a temp substitute until I get a car

Old 05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is another case of people putting motorcycles on a pedestal and making it seem like a hard choice to get one or not do, theres really not that much to think about. got money? want to ride? pretty simple

Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM

If you're living with your parents, you have to abide by the rules.

Your mistake was asking permission. You should have just gotten the bike. If I would have asked my mom or told her of my intentions, she wouldn't have approved because she's concerned for my safety, like every mom and dad would be. Show them what you can do to ride safely. It'll give them comfort.

My wife was against me getting a bike for the usual reasons.Fifteen years later, she gave in and I got my first bike at age 41. I wish I could've done it sooner.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 PM

my father was totally against me getting my first motorcycle. I proved that I wanted to be safe and signed up for a msc on my own and my father finally gave in after many talks and going to a few motorcycle shops with me. My first motorcycle at 19 was a yamaha v-star. Funny thing is that a month or so later my father asked me to go for a ride with him in his truck. I thought that he was going to tell me that I needed to lose the motorcycle but to my suprise we went to them motorcycle shop and he bought a drifter. Even today my father wishes that I would tranfer and get off of the motorcycle, not a chance LOL. When I was 20 I was run off the road and a short time later my father was involved in a accident , not his fault, and we both sold the motorcycles a few years later. But look at me know. I think its great that you have such respect for your father, you really don't see that everyday. While you do only live once, you also only have one father. Talk to him more maybe he will agree with you one day soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13947/421C503DDF104345AEA38CA7E56DDDFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Even at my age, my mom still worries about me riding. But I tell her that I wear a full helmet, leather with protective gear, and get instruction. It comforts her a little, but she still worries a bit.

Recently, a neighbor in his sixties, who's really good friends with my mom, got into a motorcycle accident and was hurt seriously. He wasn't wearing a helmet or any protective gear except for a vest. They say he almost didn't make it. He's okay now and still rides.

My mom lectured him saying that he should've been wearing a full helmet and protective gear like her son. I'm proud of her!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 AM

i was in the exact same shoes you were in. I took the MSF course and he found out and gave me this lecture about how i shouldn't get a bike and how he didn't want me to have one...etc etc...i'm sure you heard the same stuff....so after i finished the MSF course and got my motorcycle license, i waited over a year and a half to get a bike...never told him...kept it a secret and bought it with my own money. (I'm 21 by the way)...anyways...i kept it at my girlfriends house for over 3 months...eventually i got tired of keeping it there and one day just brought it home. I brought a friend to help take some of the hit. When he saw it...he was like "I already knew, i saw the registration papers in the mail" but know hes cool with it. Hey its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Or you can buy one and say "hey dad, i got this girl pregnant"...then he'll get all crazy and mad...then you can tell him the truth and say "just kidding, i bought a motorcyle" so he knows things could be worse

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: tagster
Or you can buy one and say "hey dad, i got this girl pregnant"...then he'll get all crazy and mad...then you can tell him the truth and say "just kidding, i bought a motorcyle" so he knows things could be worse

lol

Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Do the college thing, then once you are in a crappy job, in some f**king cubicle with a dopey boss that knows less than you making god knows how much money for stealing your ideas, then the next thing you know you knocked up one of the girls in the copy room and she seems OK but deep down she is a demon like hell like all the rest of those crazy F***ing B****tches then you get passed over for promotion put on 30 pounds get high blood pressure and diabetes (type two mind you) and there is no way you can afford the insulin because you company got shut down and moved to mexico or china or god knows where....hang on I gotta catch my breath.....and you f***ing insurance doesn't cover your insuling so you live on oatmeal with shots of honey every three hours trying to keep your blood sugar in check while you wife is sleeping with the pool boy that hired because you were too busy working trying to pay for the kids braces then this B***h gets half of you measly 401K and she takes the couch.

The more I think about this the more I say go gay, get a bike, move to key west and enjoy life. Life is short, enjoy.
LOL
That is life in corporate capitalist America. I rather die instantly in a crash then live a life like that.

So what else is new? 90% of all young individuals parents will disapprove unless they ride themselves. Just get yourself a bike, hopefully the F4i is not your first and hopefully you took a MSF course, ride always with gear (helmet, jacket, and gloves at least, pants if you can), and be 100% alert all the time. The increased risk is a fact but it is not what most people make it out to be, if you are level headed, respect the bike and its power, and are a competent person you will do fine, might hit some patch of sand and gravel on a back road and lowside like I did 2 months ago, lol, but **** happens, you can be jogging and some drunk runs you over or get cancer right now.

Quick Reply: Venting