F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Venting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting

I've been hooked on motorcycles since I was about 7, when I saw my first dirt bike. Now that I'm older, 18, in the past few year I've been really into the sport bikes, and have wanted aF4i for a couple of years now. I've been on this site for about a year, trying to learn as much as I can about motorcycles and everything. But no matter how hard I try, it seems like it's all worthless. My dad has been against me getting a motorcycle since the day my interest started growing. I understand that he is concerned for my safety but, sometimes I just want to go and buy one and keep it a secret. I have enough money to pay for everything myself, but it still seems wrong for me to disobey him like that. The thing is, I go to school in Virginia, so the VTech shooting, shook me up a little bit. It has made me want to really live life, because life is short, and nothing is promised. So from that perspective, it seems like I should get one. It's just frustrating because I've wanted one for so long. So I don't know, I just needed to get a few things off of my chest. But if there are any fathers reading this, how would you feel about your son getting a motorcycle? Also, if any body else has been or is in this situation, what did you do?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Default RE: Venting

Thats a tough one. At least you are respectful enough to care about what your father thinks, something that seems to be fading these days. If you are 18 and still living in his house, its kida his rules, at least the way I grew up. More than likely he is mainly concerned for your safety. You should really just sit down and have a father son talk and address it to him like a man. Work it out. JMO

Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

Do the college thing, then once you are in a crappy job, in some f**king cubicle with a dopey boss that knows less than you making god knows how much money for stealing your ideas, then the next thing you know you knocked up one of the girls in the copy room and she seems OK but deep down she is a demon like hell like all the rest of those crazy F***ing B****tches then you get passed over for promotion put on 30 pounds get high blood pressure and diabetes (type two mind you) and there is no way you can afford the insulin because you company got shut down and moved to mexico or china or god knows where....hang on I gotta catch my breath.....and you f***ing insurance doesn't cover your insuling so you live on oatmeal with shots of honey every three hours trying to keep your blood sugar in check while you wife is sleeping with the pool boy that hired because you were too busy working trying to pay for the kids braces then this B***h gets half of you measly 401K and she takes the couch.

The more I think about this the more I say go gay, get a bike, move to key west and enjoy life. Life is short, enjoy.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM

Jordan23,

I feel your building frustration...I was the same way years ago when my parents didn't want me to get a bike. Now I am a father myself and I kind of see where thier fears came from. If your dad is totally against it, the way you need to approach it is with the utmost maturity. Go to him and let him know that this isn't something that is going to go away and you want to do it the right way the first time and with his blessing. By the "right way" I mean by signing up for a motocycle saftey foundation riding course. They usually provide the bike for the beginners courses and invite him to take it with you. Who know he could end up loving it and getting a bike himself and as for the F4i, in my opinion probably the best starter bike you can get. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Do the college thing, then once you are in a crappy job, in some f**king cubicle with a dopey boss that knows less than you making god knows how much money for stealing your ideas, then the next thing you know you knocked up one of the girls in the copy room and she seems OK but deep down she is a demon like hell like all the rest of those crazy F***ing B****tches then you get passed over for promotion put on 30 pounds get high blood pressure and diabetes (type two mind you) and there is no way you can afford the insulin because you company got shut down and moved to mexico or china or god knows where....hang on I gotta catch my breath.....and you f***ing insurance doesn't cover your insuling so you live on oatmeal with shots of honey every three hours trying to keep your blood sugar in check while you wife is sleeping with the pool boy that hired because you were too busy working trying to pay for the kids braces then this B***h gets half of you measly 401K and she takes the couch.

The more I think about this the more I say go gay, get a bike, move to key west and enjoy life. Life is short, enjoy.
Hahaha...true story?

Anyway, it's good that you're respectful of pops. Your best bet is sitting down and talking with him. Tell him you'll wear all gear and be a safe and responsible rider. What will really put icing on the cake is if you go and take the MSF course before you talk to him about it and show him you past and are serious about it.
When I was 16 I had an interest in riding. My dad had to go to the DMV for license renewal or something and he even picked up several brochures and a copy of the test for me. My parents were ok with it even at 16, but I think it has to do with family members who ride. My parents don't ride though. In the end, I didn't start riding until 10 years later, it kind of fizzled out somehow.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a dad, I do have worries and fears for my boys (2). One is about to be 17 and the other is 4. I have already decided that when they both turn 18, we are taking MSF courses. I have been riding for years and want the same experiences and comrodery that comes with a motorcycle for them. When are you ever in your car and have another car wave when you pass? There is a real sense of "community" with people who ride- take a look at the posts on this site. Sure there are a$$holes but they are in every group. +1 on sittin' down and talking with your father. Show him the man he raised has serious thoughts and wishes. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 PM

when i wanted a bike, i sat down and had the manly talk with my father, it really made him realize that i was serious and that i wanted him to trust me. He let me start motocross racing when i was 6 on dirtbikes, by 10 i was on a Cr80 doing some pretty big things on the MX track, 12 i was on a 125 and 14 i was on a cr250 and finally when i was 17 a CRF450.. so my dad knew i was a capable rider the thing that most concerned my dad was the fact that its not the motorcyclist that kills, its the other people out their in cars driving like fools. I had to address that concern with him and tell him how slow and cautiously i was going to take things. He layed down some pretty strict ground rules and i was game. find out what your father is most concerned about it and express it to him. dont lie about the bike you are getting either, he should beable to tell by the looks of an F4i that it is going to be fast, dont deny it, this is the hardest part. He will most likely want you to start on something a little more modest unless you can convince him that the F4i really is a great starter bike. My points were- Way more control over a sport bike than a cruiser, better stopping power and easier maneuverability if a sticky situation ever occurs. You dont have to use all of the power, its there but doesnt all have to be used. Good Luck, i know what you are going through.. it is super frustrating.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 PM

get a student loan and buy a bike its what i did!!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 PM

ha, my dad was easy to get his approval of me getting a bike... im still working on my mom to say "i dont care" atleast haha.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM

my parents didnt want me to have one but i got one anyways, lol.
they got over it. now they just keep telling me to be careful.

O well. If you want one get one. They will only be made for awhile.
They're your parents they will still love ya.

Quick Reply: Venting