F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

vent line leaking from fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vent line leaking from fuel tank?

I posted this in the gen. tech section by accident, meant to post here in the 600 f4i. Sorry for any confusion.

Okay... quick background. I have a 2001 CBR 600 F4i. I've had the bike for almost 3 years. Recently had the bike sitting for 6 months, so when I got back into the country I brought the bike to a local shop (reviews on their work was 50/50) for some minor maintenance.

They flushed the fuel tank, put on a new front tire, changed spark plugs, changed oil, and put on a new battery, and lubed chain.

The bike ran like a champ before I put it up for 6 months. While I was gone I used STABIL to protect the tank from corrosion. When they called me to come pick up the bike from the shop, they mention there is a leak at the fuel vent line, inside the tank... suggesting there was a small hole in the tank (perhaps from corrosion) that was allowing fuel to seep out once the tank was filled over half way. I was surprised to hear this, but afterall it was 6 months with no TLC in TX heat. Because of the hole in the tank I was told I would not be able to fill my tank above "halfway" without it leaking... unless i wanted to purchase a new tank. And they said there was no way of patching the hole from the inside? Not really understanding how the vent line works I could not really take much of a stance on the matter, and was in a rush to get to a family matter.

Later, I took the bike home, tried filling up the tank a little to observe the leak, and it leaked. However the way they described it to me was that the fuel was leaking directly from the tank through a hole near the vent line. The fuel is actually coming from this rubber hose below the bike (fuel vent line, i assume?). Its just a black rubber hose that dangles below the bike about 5" from the ground, and centered below the tank/seat area... which I never noticed before. It is uncapped.

I'm not too mechanically inclined obviously and plan to take the bike back to the shop for a better understanding of their description of the failure. But before I do, I was hoping to get some opinions as to what could be the possible problem.

My questions are...

Is this line that dangles below the bike a fuel vent line? If not, what is it?

Should there be any fuel coming from this dangling hose? (i assume not)

What could cause the fuel to get inside the hose?

I thought maybe as a quick fix, I could plug the hose, and this would keep it from leaking out. But again, not understanding how the tank is configured I thought it would be best to avoid any mechanical manipulation from my inexperienced ***.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Joe

Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have a 01 honda f4i with two hoses hanging also i want to to say its your over flow for your tank... post some pics if you can