F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Valve Clearance - I Give Up......

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Clearance - I Give Up......

this is the second time ive tried to check my valve clearances, and i just cant get an accurate reading. i bought some angled feeler gauges thinking that would help, but still, it doesnt seem like the smallest gauge will even fit under the intake valves. im wondering if pulling the motor would even help at all... either that, or off to the shop i go.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Valve Clearance - I Give Up......

G'day Cameron.
First thing to do is to look at it differently...............from another view?
You have 16 valves to adjust,they are adjustable,with delicate hands...............

Are you using :
1.Mini-flat blade screwdriver
2.Mini-Socket set
Its all in the wrists,sure were not gifted with "Mini hands",big cumbersome Westerner hands can still do the job.Trust me on this-i did this every 5,000kms 20 Years ago on the cbr600f.
Look at things differently,you will see a way through it

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: cbrsixpack

G'day Cameron.
First thing to do is to look at it differently...............from another view?
You have 16 valves to adjust,they are adjustable,with delicate hands...............

Are you using :
1.Mini-flat blade screwdriver
2.Mini-Socket set
Its all in the wrists,sure were not gifted with "Mini hands",big cumbersome Westerner hands can still do the job.Trust me on this-i did this every 5,000kms 20 Years ago on the cbr600f.
Look at things differently,you will see a way through it
you're speaking about a hurricane which used a rocker arm setup
he's got shims under buckets, and has to replace a shim if it's out of clearance

Only 2 things I can say. Check to make sure the motor is on TDC and that you can only check half of your intakes and half of your exhaust valves before you have to rotate your crank shaft 360 degrees

Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Yeah,o.k Brad.
Shim's or Tappets ,should be done @ Home by the home mechanic.If i can give advice to anyone regarding that subject,it will always be.."Take a different look at the way your doing it.."

Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Hey Cameron.
If you haven't been told yet,you need to remove the Cam's to do the shims[A little info from my brother ,who is a bike mechanic].

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

I will repeat what I said to another guy in a different post about doing your own maintenance on your bike. If you dont do it for a living and have any doubt about your ability, take the damn bike to someone who knows what they are doing. Nothing pisses me off more than going in behind some toss pot who says "I do all my own work but...blah blah blah" Save yourself some time and money by taking it to someone who knows what they are doing and does it for a living. I get 5.5 hours to check and adjust valves on an F4i. If the ****** brings me his bike in bits after he has tried to do it himself I get 8 hours.

I dont try to race the bikes I own and my riders dont try to work on them. This is the reason.

Sorry if I sound like an *** or mean, but you have to know your limitations and you said yourself this is the second time you have tried this. Just take it somewhere.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

I've done valves on other bikes before, I've rebuilt engines, I've even built an engine from scratch, so I'm not mechanically inclined. I don't doubt my ability to do it, it just doesn't seem right on this bike. Seeing as I have not spent any money to check my valves, and have no symptoms of valves that are out of spec but was rather trying to do preventative maintenance, I will just wait and take it to a mechanic when It seems like they need adjusted.