F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

USB Flash Drive Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Remember that sales have to go in the classifieds section, and you'll need 100posts to sell. (which shouldn't be hard... you're moving right along...)

On the USB idea itself.... I think it was a cool solution to the problem. However, I don't really see how it's helpful if you still have a stock ignition. A second hidden kill switch might be a good deterrent, tho.
The problem with the stock ignition is that the anti-theft system is built into the ignition. When mine was stolen, no wires were cut. The thief bashed out the ignition until there was nothing but a plastic notch to turn and start it. I made this because my stock ignition was wrecked and I needed a safe alternative. Locking the steering does nothing. My bike had it's ignition and surrounding steel broken off, the steering lock fell off. Someone who wants to use a USB key should rip the resistor off of the back of the ignition.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Oh yeah, I understand what what happened and what you did. I think it was a great idea and solution to your problem (and it looks pretty cool, too!). But for peeps who want a usb key and still have a stock ignition, I'm not sure if ripping the resistor off their ignition and carrying 2 "keys" is going to be popular. lol... That's all I'm saying.
I would probably just opt to keep my ignition the way it is and install a decent alarm.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
^^ Oh yeah, I understand what what happened and what you did. I think it was a great idea and solution to your problem (and it looks pretty cool, too!). But for peeps who want a usb key and still have a stock ignition, I'm not sure if ripping the resistor off their ignition and carrying 2 "keys" is going to be popular. lol... That's all I'm saying.
I would probably just opt to keep my ignition the way it is and install a decent alarm.
Yeah I can understand that, anybody who wants a stock ignition with USB safety key without ripping out any resistors etc, would need to splice a component like a capacitor in the theft-wire, then that specific USB would correct that specific imbalance. That was my long term plan if I wanted to sell them, or else 1,000+ F4i riders could jack each other's rides with the same USB Stick. I tried installing a covered flip-switch instead of a cheesy switch today and the new switch turned out broken and I was shocked about 30 times thanks to my bare metal gas tank with no rubber spacers. Also went to radioshack, found sound neat and cheap solutions for motion and radius alarms, as well as more information on building a DIY Remote start with auto-shutoff.