F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? HELP!

I just got done walking around the auction grounds near my hometown in Jupiter. They have a clear title, 2001 F4I with 19k miles on it. If it were in good condition, could I expect a bike with that many miles to go for ~$3800? Is that a safe estimate? Im just trying to get an idea of what it would be worth after I put money into it. Anyways, this bike is going to need alot of work it seems. Alot of the fairings are either cracked, dont fit correctly or are missing bolts. Online the auction company lists it has a weak clutch, but at the auction site it doesnt mention this....but it does mention it has weak brakes. So just to try to play it safe lets say it has a weak clutch and weak brakes. It is also missing a windscreen and front/rear seats. On the positive side it does come with a power commander. On with the pics:

Power Commander and missing seat:

Messed up fairing and rusted brake rotors:

Is this aftermarket? What is it?

Fronttire
\

Aftermarket undertail

Rear tire looks good

My questions:

If in working order and good condition, what would this bike be worth (in general)
How much do you think its worth as is?
How much would a brake over haul, clutch overhall, and seats cost?
What could I look at for signs of damage/serious accident
What suggestions do you have for me
ANYTHING!

I am very mechannically inclined, I have built the motor in my 94 Mustang GT, rebuilt a old Honda motorcycle motor, rebuilt brake calipers, painted cars, etc etc. Labor would not be a problem with this bike, especially since I have 2 cars available for me this summer while I am taking classes and im going to be away from home with nothing to do so plenty of time to work on it. What do you guys think? Ill be going to the auction tomorrow at 7:30. LET ME KNOW THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? H

rusted rotors, no windscreen, clutch overhall will run you 500 depending if the plates are melted, seats are atleast 100 bucks each, plastics are ok but it's been down more then once.

i wouldnt pay more then 2k for it.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? HELP!

what did you say the price was? $3800???!!! lol, personally, i wouldnt pay more than $2200 for that thing...it has average miles, a little on the high side and is obvious that it has been molested with hack job modding...does it even run? might want to look into that...looks like its been really neglected and/or been in a mild lowside...why is there no windscreen? probably tore the **** off in a crash...clutch is out? probably from stunting, hard riding, or rider that doesnt know how to operate a motorcycle correctly...

tires are still good? doesnt matter, theyre crap...power commander III? who cares? they go for $260 new and $100-175 used...undertail? who cares? they go for 80-150 shipped on ebay...dont let these stupid parts be a factor in buying a bike...not only for money sake, but for your safety...look at the big picture...that is a horrible display of an 01 bike...and theres a reason its at a salvage yard/auction block...

that thing youre asking about is the external reservoir for the rear shock...this bike seems like a good bike for someone who knows how to bring it back up...and that can verify that the frame/chassis is still straight...not for someone looking for a first bike..a mechanics/track junkie's special if you will...

id recommend against getting it...just my two sense...

Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? HELP!

i would guess that bike would maybe be worth $2500....maybe...that's assuming she runs good...in good condition probably $3800-4000 maybe (i am not sure though ask others)...

as for the rest of the stuff...

i can see you need to do a lot for brakes and make sure the calipers are working well, the rotors are straight, chain is probably rusted and likewise the sprocket....i would check seals all around...check if the subframe is bent....

the one pic of the front tire looks like it is squared off but i can't be sure....

the crack on the rear fairing is typical...it's from legs...it can be fixed and a lot of f4is have em mine is starting...

the undertail is hotbodies and worth about $150 in decent shape...but you are also missing the rear trunk lock

i can't tell how messed up the front fairing is...from that picture..it looks like the headlight is just not set...but i can't tell for sure...

looking at the rotors again....you'll probably need new rotors (i have a set for sale ) because it looks like even the carrier buttons are rusted not just the rotor surfaces...

the one picture that you asked if it was aftermarket is the rear shock reservoir...stock on f4is....

windshield can run you about $50 on the cheap-$85 for good....

fairings look decent actually...which is good....

no idea what seats will run you...check an online microfiche for honda parts or check ebay...could probably score one decent....

it has an aftermarket micron exhaust which is also good....

i could go on and on...in terms of things to look forward...but it doesn't look that bad overall...many guys on here have built up from crashes that looked way WAY worse...i would expect you could drop probably $500 and have a decent looking ride...more and you could make it look awesome!

edit: forgot about the clutch...IF that is bad...you are in for some serious work....and much more money....if clutch is bad, don't do it....

edit #2: it looks like the rearsets are there!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 PM

oh, and i dont know if its your pictures, but that rear sprocket looks awfully big...check the number on the sprocket...anything over a 48 tooth and you have an ex stunted out POS on our hands...

Old 05-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Default RE: URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? H

Thanks for the advice guys, keep them coming!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Not more then 2k for it cause with that millage even if you restore it back to normal you will not sell it for much.
Example of my last year's F4i
2002 with 21k miles (clean title)
custom paint (pics in my gallery)
bunch of littleaftermarket stuff
powdercoated rims, pegs
2bros corbon fiber exhaust
SOLD $3900.00

If you are looking to get it and ride it it will last you long time as long as you take care of it. But as far as a money making thing maybe not too good of a deal cause you will spend some money on it to restore it to normal. Im thinking around $1000 with clutch if not more depends were you shop. it will be a good stunt bike and you might even get some of youre money back by selling the fairings they are on high demend specially the tail cowl. Oh and its hard to tell but maybe they are aftermarket fairings thats why they dont fit good

Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 PM

personally i wouldnt give more than 1000 to 1500 for that thing, it needs ALOT of work, and probably more work than just what you see there.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 PM

There is also a 02 R6 there with a clean title but it does not run. Alot of the wiring was messed with so I wonder how much that would go for.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM

no more than 2k anything more would be stupid

Quick Reply: URGENT! NEED INPUT on a bike @ auction TOMORROW 2001 F4i- Needs alot of work...whats it worth? HELP!