F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Upshift Popping(Backfire)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upshift Popping(Backfire)

Here is my problem. I get a pop or backfire when under hard acceleration when I shift from first to second or with high rpm engine braking. I searched the forum and found that most people said to remap the bike.

I have remapped the bike with 3 different maps and also used the ZERO map. I still have the pop sound. Not as bad and not very often with the zero map.

Questions for you guys are: Will fouled plugs cause this? Would a bad 02 sensor cause this ( I have a cali bike) ?

One side note, this didnt happen until I found my 02 sensor loose. So I tightened it up and then noticed it about a hundred miles later.

Any help would be great because I dont want to damage my bike if it is running lean.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought popping or backfiring meant it was running rich, FPRs cause popping, Atleast mine did. hows your MPG?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM

My mileage sucks. Like mid 30's. I know this is a noob question but FPR stands for fuel pressure regulator right?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM

My f4i pops on engine braking now since I took my PCIII off. I sold it to a guy on here and already wishing I hadn't lol. Ill be getting another one.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Dodgehemi7
My mileage sucks. Like mid 30's. I know this is a noob question but FPR stands for fuel pressure regulator right?
Yes it does. My FPR was bad on my bike and it didnt pop like that. My mileage was crap tho

Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 AM

Here is some of the things that I tried tonight
1. Put the bike to a zero map (power commander). Back fire or popping sound isnt noticable but might be there. Was windy tonight and made it hard to hear everything.
2. Remapped bike with a map off of power commanders site. Back fire or popping sound was there and very noticable.

So I definatly have a issue with the mapping. I have a cali bike and is there supposed to be a catalytic converter?? If so mine doesnt have it.

If I continue to ride my bike like this will it do damage??
Thank for all the help so far.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Decel popping can be caused by a variety of things. First check that your header bolts are tight. The actual popping is cool (well, relatively cool) air in the exhaust mixes with unburned fuel and when it hits hot enough temps in the later stages of the exhaust system it expands, ignites and pops.

If all is well with the nuts and bolts then you have a fueling issue. On the power commander map you can adjust down the fuel numbers on the low RPMs/Throttle position. Generally these are at 0 so you may need to enter some -5s and run with it for a while.

But, before you go fiddling with the map, make sure the throttle position sensor is reading correctly. Occasionally it gets off by a smidge so when it should be reading 0 and getting minimal fuel it is reading 2-5.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Chainstretcher,
I checked the header bolts, they were tight. I did try a different map today and so far I dont have a backfire sound. I will ride it more tonight and hopefully i have solved my problem.
I will update tonight.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM

The backfire isn't that bad actually. It doesn't just depend on the PC map. There are many things to be considered. The humidity, elevation and the style you ride with. The throttle control plays a big role in this. If you just "drop" the throttle very fast, then you will prolly notice a lot more backfire. Also, all those maps on the websites are not very accurate. I have K&N filter and Yoshi slip-on. There is a map present for exact setup of mine, but when I checked the data it appears that my bike runs very lean. So basically all those preset maps are bs. If you have PCIII, please use the max out of it and go get pro tune. Your bike will be happy, which will make you happy too!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

2H company,
I have thought about having it pro tuned, problem is that there is no one close to me that can. So where ever I go, the bike will be tuned for that region but not for where I do most of my riding. By the way what is the cost??

Quick Reply: Upshift Popping(Backfire)