F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Undertail: review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Undertail: review

The weather is pretty ugly out here today. Unusual rain is pouring down making all surfaces covered with a thin layer of oil. The freeways are full of people who should not be driving even during dry conditions.

Although, all of this gave me an excuse to eventually write a review on an undertail I've purchased on eBay.
Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Under...#ht_1376wt_939

I've gotten already "painted" in black piece. Why I used quotations you will see later.

Alright. The story began in the very moment I got my bike. Of course I noticed those antennas sticking out pretty much every where. The front ones wasn't difficult to change, the undetail looked more complicated and scoring for a small project on its own.

The holidays had come and I'd accumulated some money in my pocket, therefore I didn't have to think too long what present my bike will get
Ordering went through without any problems, and in about one and 1/2 weeks I got it. The piece looked pretty good to me; quality wise, as I had pretty much no experience in dealing with plastics.

Well, I should say now that it took me and one friend of mine (to whom I'm still grateful for helping, because it would've taken me a loooong time to get everything done) 3 days to make everything look as perfect as it could have.

Ok, the package included: wrapped undertail with all wiring already soldered, clear licence plate bracket and some bolts for mounting. The paint turned out to be not exactly a paint at all. We had hard time keeping it from chipping and bubbling, especially when some drilling needed. It also was advertised as, I quote: "Quality design and manufacturing, best fit undertail you can find." Three out of four plastic clips actually matched, so this part of the statement was true. The design is different from all others "hot bodies" alike as well. I can't stand that "two eyed" design at all, no offense. So this was the primary decision making part. But back to the topic.
The design also featured already predrilled key hole as I may say. This wasn't thought through at all, needed some modifications. A friend of mine got it working in the end, but the funny thing is that when I turn the key all plastics tend to turn with it. Some wires also needed to be soldered back as they were falling off.

To wrap the things up a bit I will state some pros and cons based on my experience:
Pros: great design, bright LEDs, built in license plate light, predrilled space for the key.
Cons: very thin layer of ABS, paint chipping from mere dusting. The piece is meant for CBR F4i's, and I think they might have really think every detail through to make it best product, instead it was just an "OK".
I would strongly suggest for future buyers to get unpainted version and use good paint of your own.

That's about it. Thanks guys! Any questions/suggestions are welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails Undertail: review-dsc00262.jpg   Undertail: review-dsc00263.jpg   Undertail: review-dsc00264.jpg  

Last edited by 2H company; 01-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM

looks great i really like that style of undertail! im with you i dont like the two eye design found on a lot of bikes...just too many bikes have the same look and yours is defiantly unique..nice work

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

That looks great, very different.
Looks a little alien, but def very cool.

Update the review in a few months on how the LED's hold up, quality wise.

Nice job on the install

Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM

i'm really diggin the turn signals

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a huge fan, but it does look really good!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM

The brake lights look nice. Not too keen on the turn signals. I hope you don't get problems from the PoPo here in socal for the turn signals not being wide enough. This ones a lil on the pricey side for my taste.

How bright are the LEDS when braking?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM

It reminds me of the 88-93 Mustang GT rear tailights.

I like the looks but I'd have to see a side to side comparison to see if it is brighter that the one I have... (hotbodies) Us Cali guys need the brightest lights possible to make us more idiot proof!

Too many careless cages out there!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Decided to make a short video of that undertail. This is pretty much my first video ever, so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5wXfBsbLvQ

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Very nice they look plenty bright to me. I'm sure even more so with brakes engaged. I think the LEDs would be more visible if they were more flushed with the tail fairing or maybe protruding a little, as opposed to being tucked under a bit. Kinda like how the stock taillight sticks out a litter further.

Thanks for the quick vid illustration.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Looks nice. I have similar to hotbodies but I think I like yours better.

Quick Reply: Undertail: review