F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

uhauling my bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uhauling my bike

Im moving in a few weeks back up north and im renting a uhaul but not a trailer because I dont have lots of stuff and the 10ft truck doesnt have the capacity to tow. So anyways Im going to have to put it in the back of the truck. But im not 100% sure on how to strap it down safety. The truck has about 4 or 5 wooden rails on each side of the truck and this is how im thinking of strapping it down.

In the pic you can see im going to use both the left and top wall. Im thinking of tieing off both wheels and maybe getting a few more straps tied to the frame to eather wall. What straps should i use? LMK

Attached Thumbnails uhauling my bike-rubrails-big.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM

I figured doing it that way the walls wont rub on the plastics and it would be free but stable i hope? tell me what you think.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Rap it in bubble rap then put your mattress and boxspring on each side. hahaha

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, when you load a truck ALL the heavy stuff goes in first. (stove, fridge, washer, dryer, safe, ect.) Slinky though he was being a smartass, but put your matress against the PASSENGER side wall, and your bike against that (with a moving blanket or something inbetween to keep your bed clean), then strap your bike to the wall with a couple straps nice and tight (being careful not to break anything) in a criss cross manner, and put your bike in 1st gear so it doesnt try to roll. I hauled mine in a trailer one time but only had 1 strap ("DOH"), so I strapped it up against one side and hauled it 100 miles without any issues. The fairing was already cracked so I wasn't worried about f'ing it up. Good Luck on the move bro.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Dude if you cant be sure maybe you or one of your boys can sit on the bike while it and your stuff is gettin driven to your destination. That way there is much less chance of hearing that sound of it falling over and you gettin pissed the f off.
________
Ocean View Condos Prathumnak

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by F4iMane
Dude if you cant be sure maybe you or one of your boys can sit on the bike while it and your stuff is gettin driven to your destination. That way there is much less chance of hearing that sound of it falling over and you gettin pissed the f off.
That'd be a great way for his friend to die in the event of an accident. Nothing like a large appliance landing on you when the truck tips over.

Listen to skooby.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
That'd be a great way for his friend to die in the event of an accident. Nothing like a large appliance landing on you when the truck tips over.

Listen to skooby.
Well the good news is, if I was moving the largest appliance I would have in the trailer would be a microwave. Stoves are overrated for college.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM

First time posting on this site, but lots of looking and getting good info. just want to let you know that if you tie your bike to the rails they will pull out, they are just stapled and glued to the sides. when i hauled my bike from Cali to GA i had to pull a couple of bolts out at the bottom where the walls attach to the floor and put in eye bolts. made it across country with no issues.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Based on aruff600's post (since I've never actually needed to u-haul anything myself), I'd find someone who has the proper equipment to transfer a motorcycle to do it. I'm not sure how far you're going, but worst case scenario I had mine shipped from WI to CA for around $525.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Here's a tip, oh I dont know, google, "How to transport a motorcycle"

I bet it works!

http://www.mototechtips.com/transport.htm